• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minor Rant about EBay Seller

15 posts in this topic

I just won a coin on Ebay, The description is for a 2007 P NGC James Madison MS-67 President Dollar. I bid on it three days earlier thinking it was a MS-67 P because nowhere in the description did it say SMS. I missed this in the slightly fuzzy Picture. When I got home on Monday I found that I had won, under closer inspection I saw that the coin was SMS. I E-mailed the seller stating that the coin didn't match the Description. I got an E- mail back stating that '" the description and photo are of the same coin. That is why we always show the exact coin you are bidding on! Always have always will! Are you trying to back out from the auction? If so just let me know! Ill just file with EBAY to save me the fees! Are you new to eBay?"" I know I should have checked the listing better, but I think the listing is a little deceptive. Auction #330264803592 . I paid for the coin but I will do something in my feedback, what I'm not sure any suggestions. John

If the coin was listed and/or described incorrectly and you don't want it, I'd suggest voiding the transaction. If you can do so before the coin is shipped to you, that would obviously be better/easier for both parties. And use this as a learning experience for checking out images and listing information more carefully in the future. Best of luck.

Edited to add: I looked at the listing and feel that the seller should have included "SMS" after the grade in the listing title.

Item description:

Item Specifics - US Coins

Grade: MINT STATE 67

Mint: Philadelphia

Certification: NGC

Material: GOLDEN BEAUTY

Certification Number: 3201000-007

Method of Manufacture: Business Strike

Condition: Uncirculated

Question?

Is the SMS James Madison dollar considered a Business Strike?

Yeah, sorry, but the picture clearly shows a SMS coin.

I would just chalk it up to experience, and buy a non-SMS coin if that's what you want. After all, it's only a $20 item.

It appears upon cursory inspection of the photo that it is clearly labelled on the NGC slab as an SMS. While not listing it in the title or description could be construed as intentionally deceptive, taking a picture of it does leave the "caveat emptor" clause at your feet John. Sorry.

I admitted I didn't see the SMS . That is why I posted this as a minor rant. The description states business strike and SMS isn't. Chalk it up to experience. This guy has three more coins listed this way. Thanks for your input, John

Since there's a pic of the slab and insert that clearly states SMS then I'd take my loss.

I won this SCD describes as "beautiful" and "fabulous".

When I got the SCD, it was bent and damaged. No mention was made of this fact nor is it evident by the seller's pics. I've contacted the seller 3 times about getting an address to return it but I've gotten no reply. He has 100% feedback but I am so close to negging him even though I never have in the past.

What say you, boardsters? Nail the #$%@^?

Since there's a pic of the slab and insert that clearly states SMS then I'd take my loss.

I won this SCD describes as "beautiful" and "fabulous".

When I got the SCD, it was bent and damaged. No mention was made of this fact nor is it evident by the seller's pics. I've contacted the seller 3 times about getting an address to return it but I've gotten no reply. He has 100% feedback but I am so close to negging him even though I never have in the past.

What say you, boardsters? Nail the #$%@^?

Victor, if you haven't already done so, I'd suggest getting his contact phone number through Ebay here and calling him. Then if he won't cooperate, hit him with that negative. ;)

If the coin was listed and/or described incorrectly and you don't want it, I'd suggest voiding the transaction. If you can do so before the coin is shipped to you, that would obviously be better/easier for both parties. And use this as a learning experience for checking out images and listing information more carefully in the future. Best of luck.

Edited to add: I looked at the listing and feel that the seller should have included "SMS" after the grade in the listing title.

(thumbs u

i am really sorry for this as ebay has within the last few years become a really difficult place to find a seller with fairness and integrity most all ebay sellers are various degrees of shady characters

I think you're stuck on the SMS dollar. Many people tend to treat the SMS and business strikes interchangable and they put SMS pieces in their sets instead of business strikes because they do come in higher grade. So I'm not surprised he didn't bother to stress that it was a SMS coin. And the picture does clearly show that it is an SMS. If you really don't want to be out the cost of the coin plus shipping then I would offer to pay his fees and a small profit for him to keep the coin. That would save you the cost of shipping and keep you from getting a non-paying buyers strike against you, he comes out a little ahead and can sell the coin again.

Victor, I can't see the bend but I see what could be damage around 1:00 on the obverse in his fuzzy picture. Maybe he's out of town over the holiday and hasn't gotten your messages yet. I'd give him a little time or take Mark's advise and try contacting him by phone before neging him. But if I didn't get satisfaction I would certainly neg him. I've done it 2-3 times in similar situations in the past and only got one retalitory neg. With the new ebay rules you don't even have to worry about that. Yes, the new feedback rules are screwy, but at least they are a small help at times like this.

As far as the original post, I don't collect moderns but I am aware of the difference between business strikes and the SMS mint set coins. If I were collecting these I would be even more aware and be sure that I knew what I was bidding on. Yes, the seller should have put SMS in the title but you should have been more careful in checking out the picture of what you were buying.

As far as canceling the deal, the seller does have to file a non-paying bidder report but he can select the option that it was due to a mutual agreement between buyer and seller. In that case the buyer does not get a strike against them. Any time an item is returned the seller has to do this if they want their FVF back. I've been on both ends of this process in the past and there were no problems with it.