• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1823 Capped Bust Half Dollar

12 posts in this topic

I posted this in the other forum asking for grade and Overton opinions. I got a couple of Overton opinions but only one grade opinion. So, I'm moving it to the correct forum. Just a grade opinion is all that I am asking this time.

Thanks.

65085.jpg.8b3024506d715a55878f0c9cedc4eafa.jpg

James, you are the first to suggest that the coin was cleaned though others may have thought the same. The surfaces are very clean with no signs of hairlining but I have a hard time finding any luster on the coin. It has what I think of as a thick "dusty" skin and if it was cleaned it was long ago. This coin doesn't have the striped surfaces look that many of these have.

I cracked this out of plastic for my Dansco 7070 and will post the previous grade later. Feel free to get more opinions in. (thumbs u

I bought this in an XF-40 old green PCI holder. It doesn't look cleaned to me but it also has very little luster for the detail. I'm certainly no expert on these coins and I know that the majority of them have been cleaned. I considered the coin an XF-45 based on the lack of luster though the details look a bit stronger to me.

65143.jpg.f37833659c5c3656536596728811da35.jpg

The eagles left wing does have enough ware that it could grade below AU but then I have seen coins that look like this graded Au 53. On the Observe the Drapery Clasp is very weak and now that I look closer I can see ware that could bring it below AU.

Busties really are a challenge to grade. I like the coin and believe it to be original however maybe it was dipped a long time ago and it re toned.

The coin has enough "meat" (detail) to be and EF-45, but to make that grade, there should be a trace of luster. If you say this piece has no luster, I'd say that it is a very nice EF-40. But I've worse called AU-50. :o