• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Neutron Irradiated Dimes

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a couple of these coins. I am looking for the ones that are encased in the aluminum holders, not the plastic ones from the world's fair. I would prefer Mercury to Roosevelt, but would consider either.

Please send me an image and your asking price if you have one for sale. Thanks! :D

Thanks Vic!

There are several I am watching on eBay at the moment.

Since the program only ran from 1949-67, I tend to question the authenticity of the coin in that auction, though (especially since only silver dimes were irradiated). ;)

What was the purpose of the stunt, Zach? Of course, nuclear power was novel at the time as were x-rays. That's why they had portable fluoroscopy in shoe stores, so that the customers could see how well their feet fit w/i the shoe. With the knowledge of the damage that ionizing radiation can do to tissues, these sort of stunts would never be allowed in this day and age.

I'm not really sure what the purpose was. From what I read, the dime emerged from the device with the same radioactivity as a glow-in-the-dark watchface. With a half-life of only 22 seconds, measurable quantities of radiation was gone in minutes.

It is likely that the device is safe. A small quantity of plutonium surrounded by a few inches of lead should have done it. Smoke detectors contain americium, and they don't seem to cause cancer.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/medalsmementoes/dimes.htm

Could I buy one from you there, Shane? I like the '54. :cloud9:

Edit: There has been a small deluge of these across the street, so I have decided to do a date set of these coins (fortunately the mintmark is on the back. :applause:). It should be a fun 19 coin set. :) Shane, I would be interested in both if you'd like to sell them.

Sure....you can have them for my cost...I am not that attached to them I just found them in a little shop in AZ and decided to pick them up. (thumbs u

Just send me your address and I will get them mailed out to you....