• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCI,ICG,ANACS,NNC,SEGS cracked out for regrading by NGC

10 posts in this topic

I've covered most of this in my journal but for those of you that just do the chat boards here's the results. I sent in 17 coins that I cracked out of their slabs and submited to NGC as raw. I didn't do the cross over as I didn't want them in any other slabs but NGCs. Here is the list of coins that came back lower.-1-1948 Ireland 6p ICG-64 now NGC-63. 2-1951 Ireland Fl ICG-65 now NGC-64. 3-1967 Ireland 1/2cr NNC-66 now NGC-65. 4-1926 US 5¢ SEGS-65 now NGC-64. 5- 1928-D US 5¢ SEGS-64 now NGC-63. and the last 6- 1967 Ireland 3p NNC-67 now NGC-63. Wow, that one hurt but the other 5 were only one point drops which I can handle. Here are the ones that kept the same grade. 1- 1946 Ire 1/4p PCI-63. 2- 1950 Ire. 3p PCI-65. 1953 Ire.3p PCI-65. 4-1953 Ire. 6p PCI-65. 5- 1951 Ire. 1/2cr ICG-65. and 1915 US 5¢ Buff. ANACS-63. Now for the ones that went up 1- 1939 Ire.1/4p PCI-63RB to a NGC-65RB(nice). 2- 1928 Ire. 1/2p PCI-64RED to a NGC-65RD. 3-1847 Liberia Cent ICG-MS62 BN to a NGC-PF63 BN(wow, up one grade and from a mint state to a proof). 4- 1938-D US 5¢ Buff. PCI-66 to a NGC-67. and last a 1925-S Calf. Comm. ANACS-64 to a NGC-65. I must say that all the coins were hand picked for their eye appeal so I think they had a good chance at staying the same or going up. Notice that all the PCI holders stayed the same or went up and both the SEGS(2) and NNC(2) holders all went down. As a side note the SEGS holders were the hardest to crack out and would stand up to an atomic blast I think. The ANACS holders (new ones) didn't take much to open and I wouldn't be droping them on a hard surface from any great height. No real need to reply but just wanted you to see what happened with my Break Outs. Maybe orther chatters would like to hear what you think on the above so leave something if you want. Best2u.

Congratulations for some pretty good results. I think I recall someone saying that some coins in the older PCI holders were graded a little on the conservative side. The SEGS and NNC came as no surprise, and perhaps ICG is a little out of their area of expertise with the world coins. I don't know. By the way, the SEGS holders are easy to open using a vise and hacksaw.

Chris

:wishluck: Thank you for the info. Having several coins in the PCI holders that looked good for the grade, I find your report encouraging. I would expect any NNC to drop at least 3 grades and hope they are not cleaned.

I also have a few PCI slabs in my collection. You have given me "reason to hope". On the other hand, I have aboput 10 SEGS slabs so I guess they will stay in their SEGS slabs. Anyway...I'm not brave enough to try the "vice and hacksaw" method.

RI AL

Good deal. Next week,I'm going to send in One PCI,1 acg(maybe two),1 usgs(DON'T ASK),1 INS(70-80's investment co.) and 2 raw. The one I expect to do the worst is the USGS. It's an 80S Morgan graded MS 65 DMPL.I expect to get a 64PL.It should get DMPL but not lately with NGC.The rest I expect to stay the same.

A question about your PCI coins.Were they in the old green doily holders or in the newer gold or a mix? My last gold PCI submission came back "altered surfaces". Pete

The PCI holders were, 5 blue doliy and 1 solid gold. Please remember when cracking out for regrading that I was very picky when buying other than NGC and PCGS slabs. The coins either had to have great eye-appeal or seemed to be under graded in my eyes.

And I must say you have a very Good Set of Eyes :) - I am sure you saw a lot of and the good stuff you bought :)

64982.gif.72e42c8ddb84dffc320a75b73e782146.gif

The PCI holders were, 5 blue doliy and 1 solid gold. Please remember when cracking out for regrading that I was very picky when buying other than NGC and PCGS slabs. The coins either had to have great eye-appeal or seemed to be under graded in my eyes.

I understand that you do need to be very picky with 3rd or 4th tier graders. That's why I sent back a SEGS graded coin last week. I am much more picky since coming here and reading a lot of posts and pictures. I got burned on one PCI slabbed coin quite awhile ago.The 2nd one is gorgeous.The others are way above average as well. So,it'll be another interesting experience to see what happens.