• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926 Lincoln Cent Came Back In a BB

21 posts in this topic

When you play the crackout game, especially with copper, be prepared for a BB. Even when you believe in the coin as I did with this example:

DSCN6751.jpg

DSCN6750.jpg

I sent the coin to PCGS on a cross at same, it came back in the holder with a note of MS64RB. I truly believe the coin is a 65 so I cracked it out and sent it in as my Quarterly Special. Here are those results:

1926lincoln-1.jpg

PCGS said the coin has questionable color. I have Lincolns in my collection that are much more suspect than this coin but graded well. These grading opinions really me off at times! :mad:

Lee,

Why the need to have it in a PCGS holder? I lurk also in the PCGS coin message board and your coin photography is quite exceptional.

Dean

ummmm 64RB my butt...you can't tell me that PCGS could not see the coin was at least a 65RB in the NGC holder? Questionable color aside....I think the coin looks NT and it looks like a 66RB to me so not crossing it was there typical politics that if it's not in their plastic...it's not good enough :censored:

Leeg,

Did you remove it from both slabs before submitting it? Curious.Thanks,Pete.

In Lee's own words in his first post:
I sent the coin to PCGS on a cross at same, it came back in the holder with a note of MS64RB. I truly believe the coin is a 65 so I cracked it out and sent it in as my Quarterly Special. Here are those results:

Thus, it appears that he initially submitted it in the holder, received a "64RB" opinion, cracked it out, submitted it again and got a "questionable color" opinion.

Leeg,

Did you remove it from both slabs before submitting it? Curious.Thanks,Pete.

In Lee's own words in his first post:

Thus, it appears that he initially submitted it in the holder, received a "64RB" opinion, cracked it out, submitted it again and got a "questionable color" opinion.

Talk about fickle opinions. They can't decide if it is 64RB or BB. Makes you wonder.

(Name withheld for fear of retaliation.) lol

I actually agree with the BB since it appears to have tango'd with MS70.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

and/or the coin has been manulipated in some way with a liquid substance before originally slabbed in the older ngc slab

I prefer the PCGS brand, so I cross/crackout nice coins to add to my set. Those who say MS70, we'll just have to agree to disagree. ;)

I'm just disapointed the coin didn't cross. Not really that big of a deal. You win some and loose some over the years.

The coin looks like a nice MS-65, R&B to me at least when it was in the NGC slab.

Why did you see the need to get PCGS involved? The coin was in a very old NGC embossed gold label holder. Some people think that those holders are similar to PCGS green label holders. hm

I don't see an upgrade, so why crack it out and take this risk?

The coin looks like a nice MS-65, R&B to me at least when it was in the NGC slab.

Why did you see the need to get PCGS involved? The coin was in a very old NGC embossed gold label holder. Some people think that those holders are similar to PCGS green label holders. hm

I don't see an upgrade, so why crack it out and take this risk?

Boy, I have to agree with Bill here. I don't know if I could bring myself to crack out an embossed holder....

I actually agree with the BB since it appears to have tango'd with MS70

Maybe something else but not MS70. MS70 wasn't on the market back when that cent was originally slabbed by NGC.

Maybe something else but not MS70. MS70 wasn't on the market back when that cent was originally slabbed by NGC.

Now, that's some esoteric knowledge, dude! :headbang:

(thumbs u (thumbs u

You had to be on crack to crack that one out :-}

I don’t play the resubmit game , but if I did I would have left this one alone.

We are talking about a $ 50 coin and all the costs involved of resubmitting are not worth it .

When was MS70 originally marketed conder?

BTW, I see nothing wrong with the cent at all and as for cracking it from the older slab, well........

some folks collect coins while others collect 'older slabs'.

Not that this is a bad thing but I think Lee had every good reason to crack it and resubmit especially after the MS64RB note on the crossover attempt.

Sometimes I just don't know what the hell PCGS is thinking!

64RB one day and BB on the next?

Kinda makes you wonder why they were so critical of a fairly inexpensive coin? If there was huge grade guarantee loss potential I could understand but on this one?