• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INFO on Richard Loebel??..anyone?

4 posts in this topic

I bought this Bermuda coin dated 1936--I know it is a restrike but it is pedigreed to "Richard Loebel original dies"..supposed to be still pretty rare and have some nice value...

does anyone know anything about who Richard Loebel was or any stories about this coin?...I always appreciate furtherance of my numismatic knowledge---thanks in advance for any info...

64861.jpg.4ec6fec0fdff842db66078524359a2d8.jpg

64862.jpg.f2f3dcf1a4ea38b9c82578389cb82ff2.jpg

If memory serves me Richard Loebel was a British coin dealer who created an whole series of fantasy Edward VIII UK and Commonwealth coinage to show what his coinage might have looked if it had ever actually been issued. They aren't really restrikes, just fantasies.

There aren't very many true contemporary Edward VIII issues out there, are there? I think I've seen some coppers from British West Africa or thereabouts, but that's about it.

yes..I got this coin at a Stack's Sale from part of the John J Ford collection..it says 1955 restrike x-2B on the slab....the catalog said that it was made from original pattern dies and the Super Ultra High Relief caused early die fatigue, thus a very limited # of these restrikes were made and are highly sought....only a few REAL Edward VIII coins were minted and some other Maundy patterns also (before his abdication in order to marry the commoner)...these are in the Royal mint museum however 1 set (3 coins) was sold to the public at a THEN record price for a world coin ( was even listed in Guiness Book) and also the coppers that you mentioned were actually released into circulation I believe

this coin differs on the reverse (obviously) from the patterns made for Great Britain and the actual real, non-destroyed coins.......PS: these coins were minted with the prior approval of the Royal Mint

This has been all that I've been unable to uncover in my research so far