• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Extraordinary Purchase from the PCGS BST

27 posts in this topic

Some folks on the boards might be aware that my primary collecting goal is completion of the silver-nickel-copper US type set. This is a daunting task and one that I know I will never complete in any acceptable fashion. However, after ten years of working on this endeavor, I have been able to cobble together forty or so coins that I think are quite wonderful.

In June I was able to finish a small subset for this larger project that consisted of completing the required Seated half-dimes. Images of those coins, taken by Mike Printz, along with the original thread are here.

Yesterday, I received a coin that I thought would never be placed in my set in a satisfactory manner. This type is the Draped Bust Small Eagle dime of 1796-1797. A few weeks ago CharlotteDude (CD) of the PCGS boards offered a circulated gem of this type and I was the fortunate recipient of the coin at the time of sale. My images are within my NGC Type Set and can be found by following the embedded link. Typically, I would also include images within the thread, but I do not have these images on my website at this time. Please excuse the poor quality of the images for this coin since I took them myself and I was not wearing my glasses at the time.

The coin in question is an unquestionably original, deeply toned, crud-encrusted marvel of survival. It is a deep charcoal and navy and has spent the years since its issue in 1796 in an apparently unmolested condition. Only 22,000 dimes were issued in 1796 while an additional 25,000 were issued in 1797, which leaves the total mintage for the type at approximately 47,000. Of course, there has been heavy attrition of these coins over the years and only a tiny fraction of the original mintage remains. In my experience, the dimes of this type appear far less frequently in an acceptable form than either the much more expensive quarter or half dollar. This is a coin that some might not accept because of its well-worn condition and grade of VF25, but truly I had come to believe that the only specimen I might ever own might be an AG3. Therefore, the acquisition of this coin was a fantastic surprise.

The images that CD posted were good, but they did not convey just how attractive the coin would be in-hand. The terms were also quite simple and straightforward. Overall, it was a very smooth transaction for the two of us and one that I am quite happy to have entered.

Wonderful coin, Tom, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. It's also kind of cool to know that you beat Mark to it. :devil:

Chris

I already complimented ats but I couldn't resist, if I didn't already have one I would have gone for that one in a NY second, just a perfect look for the type!

Tom, you know my tastes, and, after seeing this coin......I most definitely hate ya! :insane:

Man, that is the perfect year type! Did I mention yet how much I hate ya?!

Tom, you know my tastes, and, after seeing this coin......I most definitely hate ya! :insane:

Yea, but how do you really feel about Tom? :D

Yea, but how do you really feel about Tom? :D

:signfunny:

What a superb example of an original circulated coin! I love the clean fields and the crud around the stars. Congratulations on such a find!

Mike,

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Nothing, but I will anyway. You have a true piece of numismatic history and that is something not so many will every truly own. Congratulations and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Jim

PS--Sorry Mark, you can't own all the nice coins. lol