• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Jefferson Nickels (Keelboat, Bison, Etc)

5 posts in this topic

Are there any commonly known error coins in this series? I recently came across 4 boxes of these coins and they are still sealed from the US mint. I'm curious if there is any value in unknown possible error coins or if I should just crack them open and see what's inside. I haven't seen the coins themselves selling very high even in top grades, so I'm wondering if there is any additional value by not opening the mint boxes.

Thanks in advance,

Ajderamo

Hey, AJ! Welcome to the neighborhood! The greatest value in the Westward Journey rolls is for the 2004 Peace Medal. I believe there were recent eBay sales @ $35 per roll. The 2004 PM also had a DDO. The only possible error coin in the rest of the series is the die gouge on the 2005 Bison that is called by some the "Speared Bison", but I don't think it commands enough premium to make grading worthwhile.

I have a lot of the Mint rolls, but I searched bags for higher grades. If those are any indication, I'll be surprised if you find any high grades out of your rolls. Keep in mind that the 2005 & 2006 rolls are business strikes as opposed to the satin finish that you would find in the Uncirculated Mint Sets.

Chris