• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

opinion please!

9 posts in this topic

i pulled these from the "old purchase" box. and i cant seem to get a grade for these. part of me says one is cleaned and the other says they are ms61-63 coins. what do you think? and is it worth grading before i sell?

forumstuff001-20.jpg

forumstuff002-19.jpg

forumstuff003-19.jpg

forumstuff004-14.jpg

forumstuff005-14.jpg

forumstuff006-13.jpg

I don't think that these pictures are doing these coins any favors. I suspect that they look a little better in person, but here goes:

1897 - MS-60, The spots on the reverse might be called "environmental damage" which would produce a body bag.

1900 - MS-63

1881-S - No better than MS-63. There might be a rub on the obverse which would make it a technical AU-58. In that case the slab grade would be MS-61 or 62.

The 1897 & 1900 look like they have had a poor job of cleaning. The 1881S is known for a very good strike, and Liberty's hair on yours doesn't look that good. I don't think it would be worth having graded.

Chris

They look MS63 to me. The spots on the 1897 do not look that bad but you never know for sure how a TPG will handle spotting. The toning on the 1900 is questionable, this coin might have been dipped. The 1881-S looks like a nice original coin.

For these coins I don’t think it is worth sending to PCGS or NGC because of the costs involved. These are common dates, MS63 value’s for each is less then $ 50.

With the new photos I would call the 1881-S an MS-63. My opinion is the same for the other two coins.

The 1881-S comes very nice most of the time. This piece is actually a bit below average for the issue.

Coins 1 and 2 have tell-tale dip discoloration spotting on them. That needs to be neutralized or it will continue to eat into the coin. These coins will either no-grade or be severely downgraded, as they stand now. Coin 3 looks nice, however.