• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting grade description has me confused...again

5 posts in this topic

'Afternoon, Gentlemen.

Reading through the new COIN WORLD that arrived today, I found a coin with an unusual description. I was hoping someone out there could explain how a coin could have this grade; 1794 (large cent) XF details MS-65 ANACS. It is in the APMEX ad on page 53 of the September 1st edition of Coin World. Maybe it's an error in the listing??

RI AL

I wasn't interested in buying the coin...wish I had the budget for that...but the description struck me as odd. I'm glad I was not the only one to think the description was "off".

Thanks!! RI AL

There is one possibility. Some of the early large cents and half cents had problems with the dies sinking due to failures or sinking from improper hardening. This could result in a coin which even though mint state with few marks, only shows the details of an XF coin.