• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who slabs more no-motto Coronet gold?

3 posts in this topic

Across the street, there's a post that was started by Mark Feld (about whether the coins in PCGS 'rattler' holders are undergraded or not) that has also raised the question of why so much of the no-motto Coronet gold that one sees for sale is slabbed by NGC.

For example, when I was at ANA this year, I was looking at O-mint no-motto half eagles and eagles. Of the 33 coins I looked at, one was slabbed by PCGS, two were slabbed by ICG and the rest were slabbed by NGC.

Does anyone have any opinions as to why this is? Is NGC more "generous" when grading no-motto gold? Are all the PCGS coins snapped up quickly by dealers servicing want lists and therefore they never make it to the bourse floor? Or is some other factor at work?

IMHO, gold looks better in the NGC holder. Plus, I also feel that NGC grades gold coins more consistantly than PCGS. This may be why there are so many more NGC No-Motto certified coins.

I was on eBay today and decided to take a look at the no-motto gold being offered (something I never do).

Somewhat to my surprise, I noticed that the ratio of PCGS to NGC coins (for no-motto eagles, at least) was at least 40-60, if not higher.

So now I know where the PCGS no-motto gold is!