• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If A high volume Gold Dealer Sold you a MS70 Buffalo coin AND ...

18 posts in this topic

..billed you the wrong price would you say anything.

I was going to pay over melt just to get a MS70 coin anyway but the billed price was $200 less than was advertised and I expected.

Could it be just the market fluctuation where he compensated me the difference in gold value lately or was it truly a mistake on his part. He already had the sale ???

Thoughts ...

What did the invoice say? Did it have the item as the MS70 or was it a MS69 or something else? If you were billed for MS70, and they shipped a MS70, and the invoice says so... Then I think it's yours.

..billed you the wrong price would you say anything.

I was going to pay over melt just to get a MS70 coin anyway but the billed price was $200 less than was advertised and I expected.

Could it be just the market fluctuation where he compensated me the difference in gold value lately or was it truly a mistake on his part. He already had the sale ???

Thoughts ...

Of course I'd say something and so should you, and it shouldn't matter who the dealer is. Maybe it was intentional and maybe it was an error, but the best way to find out is to ask him.

What did the invoice say? Did it have the item as the MS70 or was it a MS69 or something else? If you were billed for MS70, and they shipped a MS70, and the invoice says so... Then I think it's yours.
If it looks as if the dealer might have made a clerical error, you wouldn't say/ask anything or bother to find out? How would you feel if you were the seller, made a mistake like that and learned that the buyer was aware of it, but kept quiet?

I expected this from you Mark but I was waiting for more responses BEFORE you piped up - A board check you might say :)

'Coin Pricing

While we strive to keep our prices and inventory current, variances may occur due to changing market conditions, coin availability, and/or typographical errors. All orders will be confirmed prior to finalizing the sale.

Coin prices based upon spot price are automatically recalibrated every minute and at checkout.'

I however do not think this is the case in my instance - I believe I was billed for a

2008-p Buffalo Gold NGC MS70 but I ordered and received the 2008-w Gold NGC MS70 - which there is a substantial price difference.

I am awaiting there correspondance which I sent this afternoon.

Mike

I expected this from you Mark but I was waiting for more responses BEFORE you piped up - A board check you might say :)

'Coin Pricing

While we strive to keep our prices and inventory current, variances may occur due to changing market conditions, coin availability, and/or typographical errors. All orders will be confirmed prior to finalizing the sale.

Coin prices based upon spot price are automatically recalibrated every minute and at checkout.'

I however do not think this is the case in my instance - I believe I was billed for a

2008-p Buffalo Gold NGC MS70 but I ordered and received the 2008-w Gold NGC MS70 - which there is a substantial price difference.

I am awaiting there correspondance which I sent this afternoon.

Mike

I don't think there's any question about it, one in this situation definitely needs to contact the dealer.

For me, I would let him know right away that he under-billed me. But I also would not hold it against someone who simply pocketed the bonus. I can only hold true to my own code of ethics.

I expected this from you Mark but I was waiting for more responses BEFORE you piped up - A board check you might say.....
Mike, curiously, what's the difference, if any, between "responses" and "piping up"? :devil:

If, indeed I received the coin I ordered at a substantially lower price than agreed upon, I would have no choice but to notify the seller(as I would hope they would have done me if I overpaid somehow). The return to you for your honesty is greatly above the $200 difference. Great move on your part, Mike.

Jim

I would contact the dealer or you might end up with the wrong coin. You should tell him anyhow.

I got the correct coin ..

No Response yet - I may have to call them tomorrow

I expected this from you Mark but I was waiting for more responses BEFORE you piped up - A board check you might say.....
Mike, curiously, what's the difference, if any, between "responses" and "piping up"? :devil:

hm

If it looks as if the dealer might have made a clerical error, you wouldn't say/ask anything or bother to find out? How would you feel if you were the seller, made a mistake like that and learned that the buyer was aware of it, but kept quiet?

(this is not directed at Mark... I'm just using his posting)

I think there was a similar scenario in the Numismatist in their "Ethics" column. I believe that the column said that ANA ethics rules require you to report it to the dealer.

Also, if this was an investment purchase, you may want to have an accurate receipt for tax purposes. If you sell the coin, you will may have to pay capital gains taxes on the sale and you want good records!

Scott :hi:

Well of course the problem with this sale and subsequent payment for it was me. There was a balance in Paypal before I paid them. Paypal uses all acumulated funds ( in this case $280 dollars ) towards the purchase then the balance got transferred to my credit card. All that shows on the credit card is what the balance was on the purchase making me thing they were under paid.

All is good in wonderland ... they got thier full monies and I paid too much ... all is as it should be in my world .. heheh ..wanna join ... arrrghhh ...

:makepoint::odoh!

I had a similar experience and can understand your concern.

I was at a show and needed some cash to pay some unscheduled personal expenses. I offered several slabbed coins to a dealer I knew fairly well (essentially we had done wholesale business back and forth), receiving bluesheet for them (which is par for the course when offering certified coins to dealers at shows and I basically offer walkup customers the same). When I got back to my table, I noticed they had paid for a complete 1935 Arkansas set in PCGS 64 instead of the single coin. I felt the best thing to do was point out their mistake which I did by going over back to their table and saying "Hey, I am not in this business to rip people." While they simply reissued a new check to cover the right amount in the transaction, they were very thankful. Since then I have done a lot of business with them at their shop both buying and selling and found them to be very fair and friendly. I will be the first to say that at shows I am out to buy and sell at my price, but at a fair price leaving myself room for decent profit / return on my time.

I had an experience that's not too much different than what you are talking about. I went to a coin show and bought a decent lot of 50's proof sets. When charged for the lot I really didn't pay too much attention to it as the price didn't seem too crazy different. That night when I got home I was going through my purchases I found the reason the price was different. I found a 51 proof set in a 54 box. I know these guys quite well and was kinda in a quandry about what to do. I knew I wanted to make it right but I wasn't sure exactly how to go about it. I didn't see these guys everyday or for that matter maybe twice a year. The next time I saw them I didn't get the opportunity to get with them as they are always quite busy. Then time passed and I kinda felt strange about it because I didn't want them to think that I had pulled a fast one on them and well, time went on. After about two years I finally said to myself I'm gonna make this right today. I saw the guys, asked the owner if I could speak with him, as I should have done at the beginning, told him what had happened and handed him 400 bux. The look on his face was total disbelief. A small amount of money for him because of such large volume, but he kept looking at me saying.... are you serious? I said yep and asked if he could forgive me for taking so long to make this right. He was in total agreement and we shook hands.

So, sorry for the long story, but the fact here is, I felt much better about myself regardless of how he ever felt about me or how he'll feel about me in the future.