• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864 Two-cent Mint error ?

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1864 two cent piece which shows very little, if any, wear. It has what appears to be a mint error in which the "C" in cents and most of the word "States" looks like they have be smashed, with no damage to the rim just above the letters. The color of the coin is even, leading me to believe the "error" is original.

I can't find any mention of this error in any thing I've read so far.

I'm working on posting some pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.

64715.jpg.4b2fd9d61c66735c0230f7313a6f311a.jpg

64716.jpg.d6063f76738f4f1d61fa428f9ea83f11.jpg

64717.jpg.bafe07aca9ff49691fc6b3b5cb9dbaae.jpg

64718.jpg.55bb8d35fa90e2aeae96a2ae100a8962.jpg

Your 2 cent coin may have been struck with grease in the letter cavities. The grease being a non-compressible liquid would prevent the planchet being fully struck in areas where grease had gotten into the die letter cavities. This happens occasionally and is a fairly common error.

It does appear to have uncirculated details, a coin with the highest point being the “WE” in the motto, (the very first area to show wear) while the reverse looks like it does have some sort of “strike through” issue, where the die did not impart the entire design. I.e.; missing letters in STATES, the CE in cents and a portion of the top left Laurel wreath.

Often times grease is the culprit of these unique strikes and are seldom seen on two cents pieces, yet here you have one. There could be a small premium paid by a collector who is looking for one in this type of condition, but it is not exceedingly rare, just different. A strike through is an error coin, but in the broadest sense of the terms because they are not as dramatic as say a clipped planchet, off center strike or doubled dies etc.

In reality, a two cent piece in Mint State condition (both sides) would probably be slightly more valuable. It’s still a neat looking coin and quite a conversation piece to have and to hold.

Note: if it was a polished die issue, there would be note of it as part of a diagnostic identifier, but since there are only a few struck examples, there will be no mention of this in any guide.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy yourself, of course this is an opinion based on the information given and I’m by no means an expert in the field of errors.

I agree with the grease filled die. It is the most logical explanation for this type of strike phenomena. Nice coin, CRon. Hope you are able to keep it, as it will be a centerpiece of 2 cent discussions.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Jim

It's been my experience that on 19th century coins like this, the weak strike lowers the value. Most collectors are looking for all the detail and an error like this, if it is an error and not a worn die, will bring the price down.

As for grade I'm guessing that this is a high grade AU. It might be Unc., but I can't tell that from the photos.