• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 WAR Liberty Seated Quarter-what do you think it would grade?

9 posts in this topic

What grade would you place on this coin? A value also, as I place it in between grades and that makes it hard to place an honest price on a coin to sell.

Thanks

Jim

1853WALSQwhite2.jpg

In reading the title, does WAR stand for anything?

I'm at a loss, but then again it might be something very simple that I'm not getting.

Thanks.

In my view the coin is really no better than EF-40. I've had a couple of ANACS graded examples of this coin that were in EF-45 holders that were better than this piece. There are too many circulation marks in the fields and too much wear on the devices to call this coin AU.

But given the effects of "grade-flation" perhaps this coin is an AU, but it does not make it given the way I grade these coins.

In my view the coin is really no better than EF-40. I've had a couple of ANACS graded examples of this coin that were in EF-45 holders that were better than this piece. There are too many circulation marks in the fields and too much wear on the devices to call this coin AU.

But given the effects of "grade-flation" perhaps this coin is an AU, but it does not make it given the way I grade these coins.

^^