• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Percentage of NGC coins that appear in the registry?

10 posts in this topic

I don't know but I would expect this to be a really low percentage. You'll also never be able to know for sure exactly what it is because of crack-outs and re-submissions in which NGC is not informed that the Cert# should be removed from the database.

Good question, I have quite a few coins that are not in registries and I know that many collectors do not participate in the registry at all. Only NGC could probably do a computer run of all the coin slab numbers that they have slabbed and all the coins in their registry but that does not account for all the crack-outs and resubmissions. NGC certification numbers are up over 3.1 million submissions now, times the number of coins in each submission.

According to the population report, Morgan dollars account for 1.8 million coins which have been slabbed by NGC. Looking at the Morgan set registry, there are 1229 full sets registered, even with a 50% average set fill rate, that is only 78,600 coins in the Morgan Dollar registry, approximately, which is a small percentage of the total slabbed Morgans (about 4%).

Another point is that the REGISTRY here will list PCGS coins also

ALAS how many of this figure you mentioned are actually PCGS coins ...

Another point is that the REGISTRY here will list PCGS coins also

ALAS how many of this figure you mentioned are actually PCGS coins ...

Good point, but I think it is differentiated between PCGS and NGC coins, so it should still be possible for NGC to do a tally. I think the percentage of coins in the registry is very small.

I was going to guess 1% or less. However, Oldtrader's estimate is a bit more scientific than my WAG (wild as* guess). It would be interesting to find out the actual number.

I was also wondering whether the number of collectors and the number of registered coins has be growing at the same rate or faster than the rate of increase of the newly slabbed coins? For example, is the registry becoming more popular with more people starting to participate? I recently joined the NGC resgistry so I don't have the historical perspective.

The registry here on the NGC site, has gone steadily since I joined in January 2002. I would guess that there are 5 to 10 times the number of registry coin sets as there were then. Also the competition has gotten much tougher.

I agree--it's growing a lot..this is evidenced by looking at the rankings in most sets--the winners for the years 2005, 2006 etc..often are not even in the top 5 sets now...

As per the # of certified coins that are in the registry?... I for one have dozens of cracked out slabs--plus !!! I have over 100 coins in my signature set that are certified by NGC but do not show up in any population report, they only show the slab certification idf the # is entered in as a search..

Another good example would be the Silver Eagles. There are only about 1620 or so sets of them. NGC has graded about 40000 or more of each date/MM. Even if every set were full (which they aren't) and every coin had only 40000 graded (and some are much more than that), that would be less than 5% of a very large category.

Actually, the silver eagle might be an excellent indicator of populations in the registry. The reason why is that, there are few PCGS, SAE's in the NGC, SAE registry. So, if you do the arithmetic for SAE's it comes out to 1621sets with 28 coins each, or 45,388 total possible population in registry sets. This is out of 1,982,579 coins graded but probably only half of the possible or slightly over 1% are in registry sets.

I do believe that the percentage of a coin's population which is in a particular registry is greatly variable by the scarcity of the coin. I would guess that for instance, most of the really rare coins series dates are in slabs because of their value. However, most examples of these coins will never be in a registry set because the collectors who go to the trouble of owning one, either don't care about the registry, or don't collect by type or by denomination sets.

For example, I looked at 1842-O, quarter eagles and only (2) examples (one NGC and one PCGS coin), including the Eliasberg coin are in registries out of 189 graded by NGC and PCGS. How many of those graded that actually exist is debatable because the number graded exceeds some expert guesses of the total 1842-O's that exist. Although there have been (72) 1842-O, quarter eagles sold by Heritage, nobody knows how many of these are repeated sales of the same mostly lower graded coins.