• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1902-s - Already Graded by NGC - May resubmit

5 posts in this topic

Your thoughts - I think I may do a NCS on this for the carbon spotting and resubmit for another grade.

Your thoughts on current grade and a possibility of an NCS and Rgrade ...

I have neglected my Morgans too long cause of the THREE GOULD OUNCE Buffalo's this year arrggghh

64612.jpg.df2a46acd759169f0c9d6d0cfe312b12.jpg

I'm probably wrong,but how about MS 63. It looks like significant scuffing on the cheek and fields.Maybe significant is too strong.The reverse looks pretty good. But as you say,spots. A small hit on the breast and flat breast feathers? That last just might be the pictures fault.

This coin is no longer and issue as I purchased MS63 without having to see if it will upgrade...

This was an NGC 62

This coin is no longer and issue as I purchased MS63 without having to see if it will upgrade...

This was an NGC 62

I think that MS-62 is the right grade for this coin, and I don't think that you will get a up grade on it. The coin has marks on the cheek and too many marks on the fields to rate any higher than MS-62. The nice reverse will not raise the grade. The obverse is 75% of the grade.

The thing about slightly better date Morgan Dollars is that the TPGs get fussier about the grades. They will over grade and sometimes under grade common dates like 1881-S simply because they bulk grade those coins and don't spend enough time with them. For the better dates they USUALLY are more conservative.

That's why the 1921-S that is an MS-63 in an MS-65 holder in another thread on this board surprised me. :o