• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am not a collector of Encased Cents but...

6 posts in this topic

I am a collector of anything regarding where I've lived. When it was time for me to go to school (I am the oldest), my parents did not want to send me to the New York City Public School. So they joined the flight to the suburbs. When I was 5, my parents bought a house in Inwood, NY. Inwood is one of the Five Towns (Lawrence, Cedahurst, Woodmere, and Hewlett) located in the southwest corner of Nassau County, near the Queens border. So I am interesting in numismatics from Inwood.

In doing research, I found out there was a First National Bank of Inwood (FNBI). The bank was founded in 1923 during the first growth of the Nassau County in the 20th century with the migration from New York City. FNBI was the first bank on Long Island to install drive-through banking windows and was very successful in keeping the bank afloat in 1950. In 1954, FNBI eventually merged with Franklin National Bank (formerly Franklyn Square National Bank). Franklin National merged with a European-based bank consortium to create European-American National Bank (EAB) in 1968. EAB was a fixture on Long Island (I was once a customer) until it was bought by Citigroup in 2001.

While surfing the popular online auction site, I found this 1938 encased cent that was given away by the First National Bank of Inwood. The obverse says "Keep this and Never Go Broke" and the reverse has the name of the bank, "Inwood, Long Island" and the bottom says "Save a Piece of Every Dollar."

I do not collect encased coins, but since this was from Inwood, NY, I couldn't resist. (thumbs u

Scott :hi:

64601.jpg.f2d899ac75c502b3df9d143b72ffa2fa.jpg

Ahh.Another Long Islander. I miss it. Nice Lincoln. You might try to find an Encased Indian from the same bank.Nudge nudge.
The bank was founded in 1923. I would doubt they had encased Indian heads... unless they did nickels! ;)

Ahh.Another Long Islander. I miss it. Nice Lincoln. You might try to find an Encased Indian from the same bank.Nudge nudge.
The bank was founded in 1923. I would doubt they had encased Indian heads... unless they did nickels! ;)

I don't see why not. Indian cents were used long after 1923.I remember getting them in change even into the 70's. Besides, I'm sure I've seen encased indians from many banks that were operating in the 20th century. Just thought you might want a companion piece or maybe start a new hobby.Good luck,Pete