• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which 1879 CC to buy? Opinions for grading please...

7 posts in this topic

MVC-641S.jpgMVC-642S.jpgMVC-585S.jpgMVC-586S.jpgBQ409.jpgBQ419.jpg1879-CC-MORGAN-DOLLAR-ANACS-AU-50.jpg

Again, I call upon the good folks here to provide opinions. I have been looking for awhile now for a 1879 to complete my Carson collection. Tough coin to find in a reasonable state for my eye appeal. All of these hit what I am looking for and one of them will be mine.

I passed on the the last 1879 CC that I posted here because while nice, not nice enough.

These coins are listed by different sellers and and are all closely priced. The raw coins are listed by the same seller with a 10% difference, but graded near the same by the seller.

The raw coins do not look cleaned to me, with maybe a few nicks on reverse raw coin 1.

If I buy the ANACS, it will be crossed, or attempted.

Many thanks...and I understand that these are just opinions and that I take the responsiblity to make the decision on which one to buy.

I don't like the look of either of the raw ones, and of the two certified coins, the PCGS appears to be the nicer, so I would choose it.

PCGS, it's nicer than the ANACS and it's already slabbed, unless you can get the other two in hand and can pay lesser monies for it and think it they will go au-50.

Take the PCGS coin. Better coin and better resale value.

The ANACS coin is also nice but resale on ANACS is usually far below PCGS.

What are the prices the seller is asking for the slabbed ones?

If the ANACS coin is substantially less then the PCGS then the crossover attempt to PCGS might be worth it .

% 10 less for a raw coin is not worth the risk .

I would stick with the PCGS coin for the reasons already mentioned, plus IMHO the PCGS coin looks undergraded and probably should be at least AU55.