• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY?!

11 posts in this topic

1943_wlh_why.jpg

BAD PICS!

IMAGINARY THUMBS!

ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE!

WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!

WHY NOT JUST ONE THAT'S WHAT I WANT?!?!?

AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Sorry - I just sent another one back. Needed to blow off some steam. I'm sure y'all have been there before too.

Post your current headache coin.

I've never returned a coin... Maybe my standards are too low, or yours are too high. I mean no offense by this at all, but it seems that you're not happy with a lot of coins. Maybe you're too picky.

1943_wlh_why.jpg

BAD PICS!

IMAGINARY THUMBS!

ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE!

WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!

WHY NOT JUST ONE THAT'S WHAT I WANT?!?!?

AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Sorry - I just sent another one back. Needed to blow off some steam. I'm sure y'all have been there before too.

This was a fun purchase, especially considering I had to pay a 5% restocking fee for returning it. It should have sold for a substantial discount because of the hidden and conveniently unmetioned problems, because it is an available issue in problem free condition.

The coin had exactly 13 fissures and cracks around the rims and running deep into the coin's center. I described it to them as a "crumbling planchet." Only 1 simple planchet flaw and a few small anomilies showed in the auction company's scans, which was acceptable to me. There was also evidence of abraisive surface alteration to remove corrosion. This coin should not have been slabbed.

64555.jpg.e325f7d18f77bee9c507ae0a4ad9a779.jpg

64556.jpg.1b1f74121716c3ba1c93789e1604765d.jpg

64557.jpg.52af3ecdcc067bd74feaf0fcd0fe81f5.jpg

I don't have the time or money to go driving all over the state or out of it to go to shows and there aren't any good shops in my town. I'd love to hit Whitman tomorrow, but I've got to work on Friday and I'm going out of town over the weekend. Not to mention gas is a b*t*h and Atlanta traffic is second only to a proctology exam in the "how I'd least like to spend my day off" category. The internet is my only option at this point. Maybe when I'm out of grad school, I'll have the funds to do some traveling to shows, but for now, this is how I choose to pursue my hobby.

I don't, in fact, return a lot of coins, but I fully admit I am picky and I do try and hold my collection to higher standards. If a seller offers a satisfaction guarantee, I may use it if the coin proves to have problems that weren't apparent in the imagery, although I make all attempts to find out if that's the case before buying it (by choosing coins with good photos and by asking questions of the sellers). What I don't do is buy tons of coins and return tons of coins - that's a waste of time and money for both of us.

For this particular coin, I am dead-set on getting an original, white 1943-P MS65 walking lib. half, with a split thumb, good strike, nice smooth fields, and no distractions of damage inappropriate for the grade. I'm not necessarily looking for a coin that will upgrade - I don't play the crackout game - but I am looking for a coin which is strong for the grade. I've been looking for months and I probably will be looking for many more months until I find the right coin. I won't comment on anyone else's standards, but I'm surprised that nobody seems to be chiming in for holding one's collection to a standard of excellence. I may not always succeed at finding the best coins, but I do aim high and that's something, anyway.

original, white

How are you going to tell? I currently have a beautiful, lustrous, blast white Franklin half that looks like it did the day it was minted. Here's the catch - I dipped it myself not two days ago.

I won't comment on anyone else's standards, but I'm surprised that nobody seems to be chiming in for holding one's collection to a standard of excellence. I may not always succeed at finding the best coins, but I do aim high and that's something, anyway.

I do indeed hold my collection to a standard of excellence...but by carefully choosing who I buy my coins from, I am very rarely disappointed.

Pendragon,

I feel your pain.Lately I've run into a bunch of problems with Ebay coins. Some were my fault but others are so fraudulently described and came with such deceptive pictures(even stolen pictures) that I just would not keep them. I don't buy from anyone without a return policy. I just can't afford to lose any money because my income isn't what it used to be. And getting around to shows is a problem being disabled and having trouble with walking.

I was looking around at Walkers as well recently. I couldn't find any raw ones,no matter what grade was claimed, with a Full hand and very,very few graded by either company.Looks like neither NGC or ATS use a "Full Hand" designation.Or if they do I didn't find it in the price guides.Good luck

I don't currently have a headache coin, but I do have a headache. A little too much port last night, I think.

Seriously though, I very rarely send coins back to sellers. I've only sent one or two back to an ebay seller.

~~I won't comment on anyone else's standards, but I'm surprised that nobody seems to be chiming in for holding one's collection to a standard of excellence. I may not always succeed at finding the best coins, but I do aim high and that's something, anyway. ~~

Sure, I've bought plenty of "dogs" but I blame myself for impulse buying or "take a chance" attitude, or at times expect someone elses opinion to be the same as mine, but it doesn't work that way. The only time I was ever really happy with a coin was with one I could examine in person and be able to weigh in all the factors and maybe even "haggel" a bit with the seller. These types of transaction are more personal than via the NET and both parties usually walk away satisfied.

Just an observation.