• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well...that's a first for me (eBay)

19 posts in this topic

I recently asked a seller if he'd mind sending me larger photos on a particular coin. In response, I got this message:

Q: Hello pendragon1998, Due to the content of your feedback; I would rather not accept your bids. No hard feelings; just business. Good Luck & Kindest Regards, Steve

I can't figure out what his problem with me is.

Maybe he was afraid of this, but if so, it doesn't speak very well of him as a seller. Or, maybe he didn't even see that and is a liar who doesn't want to make any effort to work with a potential bidder who cares what the coin looks like? (shrug)

Pendragon

I can't see any reason for this in either the feedback you received or the feedback you left for others.It's all solid.

I had a similar episode last year. I asked a seller if he had any other pictures besides the two black ones he put up. He photo shopped them.His reason was that his coins were so much better than others he didn't want to outshine other sellers(paraphrase). But his final answer to me was to ban me from bidding on his coins because he thought I was accusing him of hiding problems with that kind of picture.You never know.

Ooops,Missed those two Mark cited.But still,you have to expect a couple.

Maybe he was afraid of this, but if so, it doesn't speak very well of him as a seller. Or, maybe he didn't even see that and is a liar who doesn't want to make any effort to work with a potential bidder who cares what the coin looks like? (shrug)

Ah yes, my only two negatives from 4 and 5 years ago. Both of those are retaliatory negs from before I knew better than to give out deserved negatives to rotten sellers.

That first one sent me a badly damaged low-dollar book that he'd sent wrapped in brown paper and then wanted me to pay return shipping to get a refund of the sale price. I refused to do that. If the seller completely screws the pooch like that, there's no way I plan on being out any money on the deal.

The second one was a text book I bought on half.com. The book took 20 days to arrive because the seller didn't actually own it. He just bought it from amazon.uk and had it shipped to me (which is against the half.com rules anyway).

I'm not too worried about those negs - they're clearly retaliatory and I noted that in my response to them.

I would very much like to see the auction/coin you were inquiring about before commenting futher (PM is fine), but my first thought was "the guy must be trying to hook a sucker", as I see nothing warranting that comment in your feedback.

Ah yes, my only two negatives from 4 and 5 years ago. Both of those are retaliatory negs from before I knew better than to give out deserved negatives to rotten sellers.

That first one sent me a badly damaged low-dollar book that he'd sent wrapped in brown paper and then wanted me to pay return shipping to get a refund of the sale price. I refused to do that. If the seller completely screws the pooch like that, there's no way I plan on being out any money on the deal.

The second one was a text book I bought on half.com. The book took 20 days to arrive because the seller didn't actually own it. He just bought it from amazon.uk and had it shipped to me (which is against the half.com rules anyway).

I'm not too worried about those negs - they're clearly retaliatory and I noted that in my response to them.

By the way, based on your question to him and your feedback, I don't know why he would have bothered to use Tolhaus.org. - I was just trying to come up with a possible explanation for his reply. Just for fun, why not ask him what he meant by "content of your feedback"?

I would very much like to see the auction/coin you were inquiring about before commenting futher (PM is fine), but my first thought was "the guy must be trying to hook a sucker", as I see nothing warranting that comment in your feedback.

link

I was mildly interested in the coin, but I wanted a larger pic before I made up my mind what I thought about it.

By the way, based on your question to him and your feedback, I don't know why he would have bothered to use Tolhaus.org. - I was just trying to come up with a possible explanation for his reply. Just for fun, why not ask him what he meant by "content of your feedback"?

I did ask him, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll forward it here if I do hear back.

Yeah - no worries there. All's well that ends well. I did kinda like that die crack, though, but I wasn't gonna bid unless I got a big enough pic to make a decision on the surfaces.

I don't think I'd want you bidding from me with feedback like this "Stellar customer with super-fast payment and great communication! - EarlyUS.com." I mean, look at the source as well, I hear that guy is kind of shady. :devil:

(you know we love you James)

From his terms of sale and business philosophy section:

1. I believe in and try to live up to the motto; "the customer is always right."

Nice to see that he's only playing lip-service to that.

Thanks for posting the link, Pendragon....

The reverse of the coin looks problematic, and my first thought was it was scratched, although I see some might think that was a die crack. Also, most of the raw coins in this seller's inventory are problematic. My best guess (and it's just a guess) is that the seller knew what was wrong with the coin and realized that you would too if you saw a larger photo. But again, that's just conjecture....Mike

I've bought a coin from this guy. It was an absolutely beautiful 1924 Peace dollar. You don't see many with Mint frost still on them. I keep meaning to have it graded but it gets shuffled to the bottom because of value,mostly.

Thanks for posting the link, Pendragon....

The reverse of the coin looks problematic, and my first thought was it was scratched, although I see some might think that was a die crack. Also, most of the raw coins in this seller's inventory are problematic. My best guess (and it's just a guess) is that the seller knew what was wrong with the coin and realized that you would too if you saw a larger photo. But again, that's just conjecture....Mike

This is probably true, here is a response I received from a ebay auction on a coin that I had a few questions on, although it could of been an honest oversight on the seller.

"Hi,

Yes you are right, there's a bump on the rim... I added it to the listing and lowered the price $100... But I still don't think the coin is for you...

Thanks for pointing that out to me.."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300161489971&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123