• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1824 Bust Half Dollar

8 posts in this topic

XF 45 maybe AU 50

It is hard to tell from the picture if it was cleaned and re toned.

Coin Dude – A coins grade is not lowered because it was cleaned.

It would be graded and then marked details “cleaned”. I know companies like ANACS use to give net grades , now they give the actual grade and mark the detail issue on the slab. The 50 cents issue’s is most likely strike related and not damage.

AU details, net VF-30 at the most because of the cleaning and retoning. I think what Coindude is pointing out on the obverse is just funky evidence of the AT, not actually damage (although I guess AT is damage, isn't it?)

XF 45 maybe AU 50

Coin Dude – A coins grade is not lowered because it was cleaned.

It would be graded and then marked details “cleaned”. I know companies like ANACS use to give net grades , now they give the actual grade and mark the detail issue on the slab. The 50 cents issue’s is most likely strike related and not damage.

You are totally correct sir. I do believe this coin has details of an XF 45, but I would give it a Net grade as ANACS does because of the cleaning / retoning. Sorry for the misunderstanding.