• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever complete a set of gold Indian quarter-eagles?

10 posts in this topic

I have never done a gold set of any kind, but looks like the Indian quarter-eagles are doable in attractive grades with only one killer key (1911-D). It's a set I would consider doing, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any insight first. Thanks!

I put a collection together in the late 1980s. The coins are all AU IMO although a I've had MS-60 money offered to me for a couple of the pieces. The 1911-D flunked at NGC because of rub spot on the reverse. I saw the spot in 1989 when I bought the coin, but did not think anything of it since it is an AU coin. NGC saw it differently. The coin is better than some of the stuff I've seen in holders for more than $6 grand.

The $2.50 Indian set is pretty cool, and it's really the only "old gold" set that the average middle class collector can hope to complete. My coins are all raw and a Capital Plastic holder. It still an eye catching set.

I did an Indian Quarter Eagle set in AU about ten years ago. My 1911-D is only AU50, but the others are PCGS/NGC AU58.

This is certainly an easy set to do, except for the key. Nobody says the key is required for someone to enjoy the rest of the set. I suggest this set even for beginner collectors. Under no circumstances do I recommend buying raw Indians, too many counterfeits.

What would the 11D set you back in EF-AU? I would consider building this set.

Having cataloged several lately, I know they are in the $3000 to $4000 range. That seems like a lot (and it is), but when you consider that each of the other coins in BU are going to be around $300, the disparity is not enormous on a percentage basis. Compare to a Lincoln cent set where most of the coins cost under $5, but more than one key are over $1000!

The gold set is something I would only consider doing certified, so it could also be my first registry set as well!

Also, it would take me awhile to do, considering the expense.