• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1776 Continental Dollar

11 posts in this topic

Once again while putting together an early American collection for a customer.. another really neat coin graced my desk this morning. I got the chance to take some pics of it and I thought Id share. So enjoy!

sorry about the big pics... but closeups are really needed to fully apprecieate this coin

k3vvqp.jpg

The details and the strike are BAD ! :o But definitely dipped out for a coin that old, I wish it had a more original skin on it. Very Nice :acclaim:

P.S. Football season is almost here!

But definitely dipped out for a coin that old, I wish it had a more original skin on it.

Does pewter darken considerably over time? (shrug)

But definitely dipped out for a coin that old, I wish it had a more original skin on it.

Does pewter darken considerably over time? (shrug)

I did a little research on Pewter... I found this interesting hm

Pewter darkens when the metal surface reacts with oxygen from the air. The lead content also influences the colour of the surface tarnish. The newly made shiny pewter will slowly build up a protective surface layer, mainly consisting of tin oxide (SnO2). Under normal atmospheric conditions indoors tin is considered to be a very stable metal. An even oxide film protects the metallic tin beneath.

Pewter should be kept in clean and not too humid surroundings. In a high relative humidity the oxide film grows thicker and the corrosion accelerates even more when dust settles on the surface. The alloy is also stronger than pure tin. Even so, pewter was made of thicker parts than similar items of silver, copper or brass. Alloying with lead also made the pewter less expensive.

I'd love to own an original but, as it is, I have to settle for my Bashlow restrikes as well as a couple of others. Man, it sure is good to see an original, though! :luhv: Yeah, you do suck since you get to hold it in hand! :devil:

TRIVIA:

Why did tomatoes have a reputation for being poisonous until just a couple of hundred years ago?

Because the acid content of the tomato would leach the lead out of the pewter and cause lead poisoning. Yet, the blame was put on the poor tomato.

TRIVIA:

Why did tomatoes have a reputation for being poisonous until just a couple of hundred years ago?

Because the acid content of the tomato would leach the lead out of the pewter and cause lead poisoning. Yet, the blame was put on the poor tomato.

Very interesting... hm