• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fu, fu, fugio.

10 posts in this topic

My first colonial. Looks like a Newman 12-M but I'll let the experts here confirm.

What should I do with that clean spot on the reverse, which was caused by a sticker from a previous owner ? Would NCS be able to make it blend in with the rest of the coin ?

1787_FugioO.JPG

1787_FugioR.JPG

If you really want the rest of the coin to match the spot, the only thing I can think to do is put it in lemon juice for a while. The mld acid will slowly take off the patina... But what do you have then? An ugly bright Fugio. Tough one. If you didn't pay much for this one, and don't plan on reselling it any time soon, try the lemon juice.

I agree with James. I like your coin, it's historic, and has seen trade, and the is important. I suspect though that there is significant corrosion on this coin. Not having it in hand, of course, I cannot be certain. My only thought (and do NOT dip this coin in anything for you will make it so ugly that you will regret it) is to get one f those camel hair brushes that copper collectors use, break it in by brushing it on very darkly colored copper, and brush your coin with it...brush and brush and brush and perhaps the light spot might begin to blend in. But I don't think you'd ever get it where you want, unless you can find someone who could teach you how to strip and recolor it.

This coin has been recolored to begin with. Any further alteration of the surfaces seems very risky.

(thumbs u

it is a good coin and has seen a long time of wear and circulation

the former old collector sticker adds character

i would leave well enough alone with this coin---IF FOR SOME REASON YOU DO NOT LIKE IT OR HAVE TO FIND WAYS TO FIX OR MAKE IT BETTER IT IS

THEN-- THE COIN IS NOT FOR YOU

better for you to just sell it and buy another fugio that you CAN LIVE WITH and like it just as it is

and of course it will cost you more money to boot

You'd have better luck darkening the sticker spot to make it match the rest than lightening the rest of the coin to match the sticker spot.