• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got shilled...

21 posts in this topic

or at least shillinged. I just added a Pine Tree to my colonial type set.

mg00891.jpg

mg00891r.jpg

Don't bother guessing the grade. The TPG grade of these coins is especially erratic. It's in a PCGS VF-35 holder.

Wow, Robert, beautiful coin! It's too bad that third party grading has just about destroyed any past standards for these. Had this been a GTG, I would have guessed "fine". Doesn't matter though - that coin elevates anyone's collection!

That is absolutely gorgeous. One of my dream coins from back when I started collecting when I was 12! Unfortunately, I think it will be a dream coin when I die as well!

Great looking speciman. Plenty of meat left on this one. A person could spend hours looking at all of the interesting details.

What do you suppose the "foot" sticking out of the D in England was originally meant to be?

It's too bad that third party grading has just about destroyed any past standards for these.

No different than any other series.

As you know, these are crudely struck, and there are multiple die varieties/states such that these are very hard to consistently grade. More important than the detail grade, it is difficult to find examples that are original, on a choice, unclipped planchet, and with the elements well-centered, like this coin demonstrates.

What do you suppose the "foot" sticking out of the D in England was originally meant to be?

I have no clue.

It's too bad that third party grading has just about destroyed any past standards for these.

No different than any other series.

As you know, these are crudely struck, and there are multiple die varieties/states such that these are very hard to consistently grade. More important than the detail grade, it is difficult to find examples that are original, on a choice, unclipped planchet, and with the elements well-centered, like this coin demonstrates.

I have no clue.

I think it was a form of -script back then ...Nothing like Massachusetts in the fall :)

I think it was a form of -script back then ...

No it isn't. I'd say it's over an A. That's the only letter used on this coin that has a base with a serif on both sides. Other possibilities would be an upside down L or a 1 from the date or XII. But the uprights of the L or the 1 are considerably thicker than what is sticking out of the bottom of the D. The right leg of the A is about the right thickness.

SageRad, no offense but. . . . I hate you. :)

a solid vf coin

on a decent round planchet with no clipping

way above average for originality

way above average for centering; both sides!!

way above average for eye appeal