• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the compelling reasons for generic widgets to rise in price?

12 posts in this topic

Common stuff like 1864 2¢, 1865 3CN, 1875-S 20¢, etc. They're common enough that there seems to also be tons of supply. When's the last time generic 2¢ or 3CN rose in price? What would compel that to happen? Are there really that many new collectors always coming into the market to replace those that exiting the market via natural attrition (death, boredom, refocus, etc.)?

The only reason I can think of for a price rise from those coins is the age-old answer: increase in demand. So, we need more collectors to want more of those coins before they escalate. Unfortunately, the series are never promoted.

...Unfortunately, the series are never promoted.
That from the guy who abhors the idea of having to pay higher prices for coins due to their holders, stickers. etc.and even complains at the very thought of it? :o Tell me it aint so, Joe, uh, James. :devil:

...or a decrease in supply. So, maybe in a hundred years, through attrition, enough of the widget coins will have been lost to affect the market.

That from the guy who abhors the idea of having to pay higher prices for coins due to their holders, stickers. etc.and even complains at the very thought of it? \:o Tell me it aint so, Joe, uh, James.

Mark, I've been saying this for many years now - promote the coin, not the sticker!

(tsk)

lol lol lol

Mark, I've been saying this for many years now - promote the coin, not the sticker!

And yet you have complained about even the possibility that prices for coins will increase (due to stickers or whatever). So, you're fine paying more for the same coins due to increased prices resulting from a promotion - sorry, that inconsistency makes no sense to me at all.

If you think that these coins NEVER go up, you have not followed the market over a long period of time. If you look at the Gray Sheet prices for pieces in low grades like Good and Very Good, there has been some real movement.

The 1875-S 20 cent piece is now bid at $81 in Good. I don't know of dealer who would pay that especially when the price for a Fine is $120. Still I can remember when these coins could be bought retail for $25, and $120 bought an AU. It was not a great AU, but it had claims to the grade. Today a nice AU 20 cent piece will sell for over $300.

There are dealers who will pay $10 for low grade nickel three cent pieces. Time was you could buy them for $3 or $4.

I really don't view some of the coins that you named as "widgets.' A really nice Mint State 63 or better NGC or PCGS 1875-S 20 cent piece will sell for a premium price and has gone up in price faster than inflation in recent years. The thing is you don't see the rapid prices increases that you see in other more volatile items, like gold. That type of price behavior does not make “investors” (speculators so far as I’m concerned) happy.

To me the term “widgets” applies to common date Morgan Dollars and run of the mill common date modern coins, like average Mint State Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters and Franklin half dollars. NOTICE that I said “run of the mill Mint State modern coins.” The condition rarity stuff is a different story although personally I don’t have a much faith in that market. But that’s just me.

(shrug)

So, you're fine paying more for the same coins due to increased prices resulting from a promotion - sorry, that inconsistency makes no sense to me at all.

I'll put it a different way: Buy the coin, not the promotion!

:)

I realize that all 20-cent pieces have gone up in recent years, albeit the 1875-S a lot more slowly and seems to holding back in deference to the other dates.

2¢ and 3CN prices are a different story. I have seen very rare + signs on the circulated grades for the common years. I'm not complaining or anything, just curious as to what it takes to make prices for those "widgets" (coins basically bought for type and ultra common) move and move not just as a fad?

Could it be that these classic coins as historic as they might be to collectors are still butt ugly design wise well at least the first two, and that will always be a stumbling block to appreciation/demand. I personally love the 20cers, the design and the fact that the size was problematic but I am always typically in the minority. And I have seen these skyrocket in price, in fact in high grades the 1864 has made nice leaps too!

Common stuff like 1864 2¢, 1865 3CN, 1875-S 20¢, etc. They're common enough that there seems to also be tons of supply. When's the last time generic 2¢ or 3CN rose in price? What would compel that to happen? Are there really that many new collectors always coming into the market to replace those that exiting the market via natural attrition (death, boredom, refocus, etc.)?

these coins have been undercollected hence undervalued by many

this is eventually going to change

when this will happen is anyones guess

but there are signs that many new collectors because of higher prices on more popular series and also many new collectors are getting more advanced in their collecting pursuits are moving backwards to more early 19th century coinage as you mentioned in your quote prethan that offer value and opportunity for their collecting dollars. if not in set form than in type coin form