• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IslandCoins: One of your Morgans is being sold on ebay and NOT by you

36 posts in this topic

In response to a (not very nice) message from a fellow Ebayer, the seller replied:

Dear Pathetic buyer,

I think you have way too much time on your hands and should mind your own business. I am not doing anything wrong. I purchased this coin from where I got the picture. And for the FBI logo, I am a big fan of the FBI. so.....

Get a life

- fbi_0877

Well done, Pat. How did you spot that?

Islandcoins photos have a look about them that is easy to identify. Red flags on the auction had me do a quick search of IC's website where I found the 'stolen' photo.

I would hope that bestclser1 is not taken for any money by Island Coins. I also noticed that bestclser1 has bought coins from you, Pat. I notice that he has bought a couple of coins from fbi_0877.

So, how does the seller get away without showing the PCGS holder then?

I thought if you listed the Grading Co. in the title you had to show the slab...or did they revise the title listing by adding PCGS once it was up and running.

Yeah, somebody lost some money here along the way if what they claim was their coin up for auction.

I would not be surprised if bestclser1 is not a shill for Island Coins. I also noticed that bestclser1 has bought coins from you, Pat.

bestclser1 is solid. He's a regular on the Rainbow Toned forum and on PCGS. He's an expert on toned monster Morgans and thus he either knows it is a stolen photo and bid to protect others or doesn't know and is in for a rude awakening. I'm hoping for the former.

Originally Posted By: Oldtrader3
I would not be surprised if bestclser1 is not a shill for Island Coins. I also noticed that bestclser1 has bought coins from you, Pat.

bestclser1 is solid. He's a regular on the Rainbow Toned forum and on PCGS. He's an expert on toned monster Morgans and thus he either knows it is a stolen photo and bid to protect others or doesn't know and is in for a rude awakening. I'm hoping for the former.

Earlier today, I emailed him a link to this thread and suggested he contact Island coins to play it safe. I haven't heard back from him as of yet.

So are you'll saying that someone just stole the pic and listed on ebay with the intentions of reaping the profits with no intention of sending the listed coin??? :censored:

So are you'll saying that someone just stole the pic and listed on ebay with the intentions of reaping the profits with no intention of sending the listed coin???

Bingo! He may send A coin, or he may just take the money and run, but he won't be sending the coin he pictured in the auction.

Originally Posted By: Oldtrader3

That is exactly what I was eluding too....he bid to make sure no one else got sucked in....I agree with Pat that Lloyd is a stand up guy!!! Sorry if I confused some with my observation doh!

Hello everyone, this matter was brought to my attention a short while ago. I do not pay attention to E-Bay or chat boards very much, so I appreciate the heads up by one of the members here. This coin is absolutely still in my inventory. I will be contacting E-Bay and the seller shortly. Bestclser1, I hope you did not send this tool any money.

Speaking of tools, nice post "Oldtrader3", you might want to get it straight before making accusations, I was NOT selling this coin. I also do not use shills. In fact, I very rarely use E-Bay to auction coins. I use their store feature; hence, shilling is out of the equation. You might want to look at this again

Hello everyone, this matter was brought to my attention a short while ago. I do not pay attention to E-Bay or chat boards very much, so I appreciate the heads up by one of the members here. This coin is absolutely still in my inventory. I will be contacting E-Bay and the seller shortly. Bestclser1, I hope you did not send this tool any money.

Speaking of tools, nice post "Oldtrader3", you might want to get it straight before making accusations, I was NOT selling this coin. I also do not use shills. In fact, I very rarely use E-Bay to auction coins. I use their store feature; hence, shilling is out of the equation. You might want to look at this again

When Pat (Braddick) started this thread, I took a look at the eBay listing and the coin in your inventory. I noted that the auction had only 2 hours remaining, so I took the liberty of notifying eBay of the suspected violation before the auction ended. However, it seems that their wheels did not spin fast enough to put a stop to the auction before it had ended.It's scumbags like this who should not only be banned from eBay for life, but from the human race as well.By the way, you have a very nice selection of toners in your inventory. I hope that I will be able to conduct some business with you in the future.Chris

When Pat (Braddick) started this thread, I took a look at the eBay listing and the coin in your inventory. I noted that the auction had only 2 hours remaining, so I took the liberty of notifying eBay of the suspected violation before the auction ended.

Ebay wouldn't have done anything even if there had been a lot of time. Only the person who has had the picture stolen can make that complaint to eBay. So IslandCoins would have had to make the complaint.

Quote:
When Pat (Braddick) started this thread, I took a look at the eBay listing and the coin in your inventory. I noted that the auction had only 2 hours remaining, so I took the liberty of notifying eBay of the suspected violation before the auction ended.

Ebay wouldn't have done anything even if there had been a lot of time. Only the person who has had the picture stolen can make that complaint to eBay. So IslandCoins would have had to make the complaint.

According to the eBay guidelines, any potential bidder can report a suspected violation. At least, that is the step-by-step procedure that I used, and they acknowledged receipt of my report.Chris

Chris, you can report such things all you want and you will even get a reply from Ebay, but Condor is correct. Ebay won't act on a listing with misappropriated images, merely because a third party reports it. And in their defense, how are they to know that the accused/reported seller doesn't own the coin unless the true owner of the coin informs them?

Chris, you can report such things all you want and you will even get a reply from Ebay, but Condor is correct. Ebay won't act on a listing with misappropriated images, merely because a third party reports it. And in their defense, how are they to know that the accused/reported seller doesn't own the coin unless the true owner of the coin informs them?

Gotcha, and my apologies to Conder for questioning his statement.

Chris

What I don't understand is why a person like this isn't quickly booted from Ebay. This wasn't an innocent mistake (which I have seen result in temporary suspensions), but rather, an attempt to get money for a coin that he didn't have and couldn't/wouldn't deliver. Sadly, I have seen this type of situation repeatedly, and sometimes on a much larger scale.

Island Coins, I was mistaken and I publicly apologize for the gaff. I truly regret jumping to the wrong conclusion.

I did report fbi_0877 for the image theft and emailed them as well. They emailed me back a nasty reply, in return for my email which is typical for scum that do business in this fashion. Apparently Ebay will not take any action unless it is reported by Pat.

Oldtrader3

one, on ebay, I found someone auctioning off coins that were actually present in a Goldberg auction which wasn't going to happen for weeks. So, they took the pics, and were getting bids. I notified ebay, and they responded, but I also notified Goldbergs....lol....they DIDN'T respond to me at all. Subsequently, that seller was stricken off ebay. I have no idea what actually DID it.

I have found several sellers who are selling counterfeit coins on Ebay and have reported these counterfeit auctions to Ebay. In many cases, Ebay takes no action on these counterfeit sales and the listing is not removed prior to sale of the coin. What happened to Ebay's commitment to work with the ANA in an expeditious manner to identify and eliminate these counterfeit coin sales? Was that just window dressing and a hollow promise?

I have found several sellers who are selling counterfeit coins on Ebay and have reported these counterfeit auctions to Ebay. In many cases, Ebay takes no action on these counterfeit sales and the listing is not removed prior to sale of the coin. What happened to Ebay's commitment to work with the ANA in an expeditious manner to identify and eliminate these counterfeit coin sales? Was that just window dressing and a hollow promise?
Based on some first hand information I have, I am of the belief that Ebay, to a large degree, was saying one thing and doing another, regarding working with the ANA. I am not at liberty to disclose the details, but I was extremely disappointed with Ebay's attitude and efforts, and that's putting it mildly.

Based on some first hand information I have, I am of the belief that Ebay, to a large degree, was saying one thing and doing another, regarding working with the ANA. I am not at liberty to disclose the details, but I was extremely disappointed with Ebay's attitude and efforts, and that's putting it mildly.

I wouldn't think one would need first hand information. Many of us including myself have been complaining about the "non action" of Ebay for sometime. E bay said of one of the Lawsuits against it that they do not have any obligations to amking these people stop because they are just an mediary between Buyer and Seller in that they only provide a Forum for them to get together.

I wouldn't think one would need first hand information. Many of us including myself have been complaining about the "non action" of Ebay for sometime. E bay said of one of the Lawsuits against it that they do not have any obligations to amking these people stop because they are just an mediary between Buyer and Seller in that they only provide a Forum for them to get together.

If that were true, then why would they place so many restrictions on buyers and sellers alike? Why have a NARU policy? Why have a (JOKE! JOKE!) feedback policy? Even if it is just a guise, window-dressing if you like, they should be held liable for their inactions to their trumped-up policies.

Chris

I wouldn't think one would need first hand information. Many of us including myself have been complaining about the "non action" of Ebay for sometime. E bay said of one of the Lawsuits against it that they do not have any obligations to making these people stop because they are just an intermediary between Buyer and Seller in that they only provide a Forum for them to get together.
If that were true, then why would they place so many restrictions on buyers and sellers alike? Why have a NARU policy? Why have a (JOKE! JOKE!) feedback policy? Even if it is just a guise, window-dressing if you like, they should be held liable for their inactions to their trumped-up policies.

Actually if eBay wans to protect their "we are just a venue" position, they need to interfer with the auctions even LESS. And the way the handle the problem of a stolen image is a perfect example of exactly how they should be handling it.

If they want to stand behind the "we are just a venue" and caveat Emptor (sp?) then they should NOT interfere and pull auctions for things like blatant overgrading, counterfeits, misrepresentation, etc. This all comes under the heading of caveat emptor. The more eBay does become proactive in policing such things, the more likely they are to lose that "we are only a venue" shield and be able to be held liable for losses that people suffer from con-artists.

Why have restrictions? Because they would like to have a safer trading environment, but it may not be possible if people break the rules. Why have a NARU policy? Because even if you are a hands off intermediary, you can chose not to be an intermediary for someone with a bad reputation. Why have a feedback policy? Because before hey messed it up it did help people decide who they wanted to do business with, and it was something eBay could do without interfering directly with the transactions. The comment that they don't enforce their own policies is valid.. The logical answer from their point of view should probably be to roll back some of their policies and continue their inaction.