• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the diagnostics of a 1948 dime "specimen strike"?

7 posts in this topic

I have always struggled with this same question for Canadian coins. The Specimen grade comes into play as early as the mid 1800's but I have yet to find a good description of what is an SP coin for a particular year other than more modern coins which are "collector" set strikes.

If you figure it out, please let me know.

Rey

Until recently, after 1968 when Canada quit minting silver coins, there were no Canadian proof coins. Coins with a special proof like finish were called "Specimens" and generally were small mintages prior to 1968. The 1948 Canadian mintage for all silver coins is small and the coins are scarce, particularly the half dollar and one dollar coins, because of Indian Independence in July 1947.

There were no 1948 English, Australian or Canadian, et cetera, coins struck for several months until October because there were no dies made which did not have "Imp. Ind." (Latin: Emperor India) on the dies. As a result only about 450,000 dimes were struck in 1948, compared with normal mintages of almost ten times that number.

I do not know what the mintage of Specimens was in 1948 because I no longer have a Charleton Catalog of Canadian coins but I know there were some die crack varieties for mint state dimes but I do not know about Specimen coin.

Canada started using chrome-plated dies in the 1940s, so even business strikes can be found with mirrored fields (what Americans call "proof-like"). This must not be confused with Canadian "prooflikes", which are collector coins struck on slower moving equipment using specially prepared planchets for a better finish. Specimens are struck at higher pressure (or multiple times) and are supposed to have sharper devices. This isn't always as clear as it should be, and one dealer may tell you the coin he is selling is "clearly a specimen" while a potential buyer will tell you it is "clearly a business strike".

Good luck.