• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A nice Jefferson medal by Lovett

6 posts in this topic

Stef,

George Hampden Lovett was born in Philadelphia on February 14, 1824, and he died at his home in Brooklyn on January 28, 1894. He was the son of Robert Lovett and had two brothers, Robert, Jr. and John D. All four were die sinkers.

Lovett didn't keep records of most of his productions, and he donated many of them to the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society. He did produce quite a few medals for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, the 1885 World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition in New Orleans, the 1887 Piedmont Exposition in Atlanta, the 1887 American Exhibition in London and the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

He produced a series of 16 Portrait-Medalets of U.S. Presidents (such as yours) from Washington to Lincoln. Some of these were signed, G. H. LOVETT, G.H.L., or G.H.L. N.Y. and some were unsigned.

He was also noted for cutting the dies for the coins of Honduras and for the plantation or hacienda currency of Cuba.

Chris

Stef,

George Hampden Lovett was born in Philadelphia on February 14, 1824, and he died at his home in Brooklyn on January 28, 1894. He was the son of Robert Lovett and had two brothers, Robert, Jr. and John D. All four were die sinkers.

Lovett didn't keep records of most of his productions, and he donated many of them to the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society. He did produce quite a few medals for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, the 1885 World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition in New Orleans, the 1887 Piedmont Exposition in Atlanta, the 1887 American Exhibition in London and the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

He produced a series of 16 Portrait-Medalets of U.S. Presidents (such as yours) from Washington to Lincoln. Some of these were signed, G. H. LOVETT, G.H.L., or G.H.L. N.Y. and some were unsigned.

He was also noted for cutting the dies for the coins of Honduras and for the plantation or hacienda currency of Cuba.

Chris

Very, very cool. Thanks for the info Chris. :) I was thinking of having NGC slab it. So I can keep iton my desk. Do you think its worth it?Stefanie

I believe that this medal is part of series that Lovet made which included views of presidential homes. The series went as far as presidents who were in office up to Lovet's lifetime.

I only collect pieces that were issued during the political campaigns so these pieces have never been of great interest to me. There are collectors who do follow this series. I believe that the prices are generally cheap to moderate although I have to admit that I don't do anything in this market.

Originally Posted By: cpm9ball
Stef,<br /><br />George Hampden Lovett was born in Philadelphia on February 14, 1824, and he died at his home in Brooklyn on January 28, 1894. He was the son of Robert Lovett and had two brothers, Robert, Jr. and John D. All four were die sinkers.<br /><br />Lovett didn't keep records of most of his productions, and he donated many of them to the American Numismatic and Archaeological Society. He did produce quite a few medals for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, the 1885 World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition in New Orleans, the 1887 Piedmont Exposition in Atlanta, the 1887 American Exhibition in London and the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.<br /><br />He produced a series of 16 Portrait-Medalets of U.S. Presidents (such as yours) from Washington to Lincoln. Some of these were signed, <b>G. H. LOVETT</b>, <b>G.H.L.</b>, or <b>G.H.L. N.Y.</b> and some were unsigned.<br /><br />He was also noted for cutting the dies for the coins of Honduras and for the plantation or <i>hacienda</i> currency of Cuba.<br /><br />Chris

Very, very cool. Thanks for the info Chris. \:\)

I was thinking of having NGC slab it. So I can keep it

on my desk. Do you think its worth it?

Stefanie

I didn't find it listed in the SCD book, so NGC might not slab it. I have no idea what it may be worth. While browsing through the SCD book, I did learn that Lovett produced the "8 Battles" medals of the Revolutionary War, and these are listed.You are building quite a nice collection of tokens and medals, and I enjoy seeing your photos of them. Keep up the good work!By the way, some of us learned, with the help of Greg, that you can eliminate all of that garbage in your quote box if you change the "Markup" to Using HTML and UBBCode . When you are quoting another post, you will see the drop-down immediately below the Post box.Chris