• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a 1864 L Indian Cent

10 posts in this topic

The 1864-L has a distinct, pointed bust so that even low-grade coins with the "L" worn off can be easily identified.

I do not see this pointed bust in the image, check this diagnostic out on the coin.

Good luck!

Note: the area right above the 1 in the date will come to a rather sharp point.

To be frank, I don't think that there is enough left of this coin to tell for sure if it is an 1864-L. My view is that it is not. Even in low grade that will be a lump on the ribbon where the "L" would show, and I don't see that.

You can talk about pointed busts and all, and if the "L" does not show, in the market, the coin won't bring the money. That's just a statement of fact.

I don't know if it is visible, but this is an 1864 with L on ribbon. My hope is that someone who knows how to circle stuff on posted photos will mark the L so the original poster of this thread can see an 1864 with the L.

RI AL

1864LL.jpg

BillJones

Thanks for marking the "L" on the 1864 Indian.!!

I use photobucket for all of my images but didn't know there was a cropping tool. I'll mess around with it a bit and see if with practice, I can improve the quality of my images.

Many thanks!!

RI AL