• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Poetic" License To Sell Coins????

11 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2201858492&category=39465

I looked up the word in my American Heritage Dictionary.

dithyramb 1. A frenzied and impassioned choric hymn and dance of ancient Greece in honor of Dionysus. 2. An irregular poetic expression suggestive of the ancient Greek dithyramb. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What in the world is this seller trying to say about his coin? Am I missing something here? Anybody have an "insight" for this? Is there another meaning for the word that makes sense to anyone?

I think this is insane.gif

David

I think he's trying to say that the coin is wild in character. It's an odd application of the word since the word really applies to living things or at least objects in motion.

The title sure can catch the attention! Too bad the coin does not fit the title. smirk.gif

Hoot

I think that sometimes, some dealers use big impressive words in an effort to mystify, stupefy, and just plain fool an uninformed buyer into thinking that the coin is more important than it really is, and if they don’t buy it now they will never see one as nice again.

But let me make it clear that I am not talking about those truly outstanding coins that because of their superior, stupendous, opulent qualities do deserve to have only the biggest of words used to describe them. smirk.gif

John

As hoot said, the coin doesn't fit the description, even if you were to understand the VERY loose connection. Certainly, this coin doesn't merit

"STUPENDOUS" "INCREDIBLE" "GEORGEOUS" "MARVELOUS" "STAGGERING" "ASTOUNDING"

"SPECTACULAR" ad infinitum, that a potential bidder/buyer would understand.

As I am not very well versed grin.gif in this series, John, do you think the term used is apropos to the coin shown?

David

I didn't think so as I believe alot of potential bidders will agree.

Pure unadulterated "causuistry" (a subtle but misleading or false application of ethical principles). grin.gif

David

inveigle--to bamboozle, to win over by coaxing, flattery, or artful talk.

Well, that's my new word for the day, not to be confused with inveigh which means to protest vehemently or to attack with words.

i.e. Ok, boys, that's enough inveighing. Now, behave.