• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you, or anyone you know ever actually paid a premium for "Omaha Bank Hoard"

18 posts in this topic

No the coins are way too common in high grade becuase of all of the rolls found....Benson is another similar pedigree that commands no premium. On the other hand....Eliasberg or maybe Bass etc...I would pay a premium for (thumbs u

I've found a lot of the Omaha slabbed Franklin halves to be a bit over-graded...I haven't seen many whose quality matches the slab grade, and I definately wouldn't pay extra...

and many of the Morgans I've seen look as if those bags had been tossed around a bit in the vault (or had something thrown on top)...I just haven't been impressed that there was anything actually special about the coins...

On the BAY most the "Omaha" washingtons seem to be overgraded or low end for the assigned grade. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I stay away from them and definitely wouldn't be paying a premium for them (thumbs u

I have bought some Jefferson nickels that were graded properly. This hoard has brought the price of Jefferson nickels better dates down somewhat because it contained so many fairly high grade, scarcer date Jeffs. Because of the large numbers of Omaha Hoard Jefferson nickels there has been no premium pricing for them.

Alot of negative press has been written about this hoard. I have several of these coins in my collection. They are properly graded and I did not pay a premium for them. Not all of this hoard are dog's.

There were many beautiful coins in this hoard; lots of roll-end toners and fresh, original white, roll coins. I don't know the details for certain, but it appeared that Heritage was liquidating this hoard, as hundreds, if not thousands, of OBH coins appeared on their website and auctions when it was comming out.

I have an Omaha Buffalo Nickel and it is graded correctly IMO. I didn't pay any premium for the coin and don't plan to ever pay a premium for some name on a slab!.

I own a few PCGS Roosevelt Dimes that are Omaha but cerainly did not nor would I pay a premium for them(or any other hoard for that matter). I realize why many will and do pay a premium for hoard coins, but I just happen to disagree with them. I feel a coin that survived throughout a long period of time just by the happenstance of luck in an MS condition through many hands is worth more than a coin that has just been in a barrel in a basement for 120 years. Comparing apples to apples this is coins in the same grade. I obviously, would rather have a hoard coin in MS than a VF coin out of circulation.

JMO, folks.

Jim

If anything, the OBH "Pedigree" negatively affects value because of numerous overgraded coins. Makes me wonder if these coins are being re-holdered to remove the offending pedigree (or if this is even possible).

If anything, the OBH "Pedigree" negatively affects value because of numerous overgraded coins. Makes me wonder if these coins are being re-holdered to remove the offending pedigree (or if this is even possible).

Most of the OBH pedigreed coins I have seen are really common material and there is not much diffference in price if the coin dropped a grade. I see no real reason to have most of these coins reholdered. If you are saying that many of these coins are overgraded, I will accept that, even though I have no idea how you know that.

From what I've seen, many of the coins were, as you said very common issues. And, judging by the many OBH coins I have looked through, I do not think they were any more overgraded than any of the other examples of their issues. For instance, a lot of 1948 Franklins were OBH, and this issue has been overgraded at PCGS/NGC for years. There are low, middle, and high-end pieces in OBH holders. The coins I've seen were typical grades with or without a pedigree. As I said earlier, the OBH coins also come with some nice roll-end toning, which is a plus.

A few of them have entered into my sets but I didn't pay extra for them. I only bought them because they looked good and weren't commanding any more money than comparable coins without the name.