• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old PCGS "green label", Old NGC...which label?

16 posts in this topic

Here's a quick question that I have been stewing over for a bit and I PROMISE I won't post any more questions tonight. Deal?

I have often heard that old PCGS green label coins as possibly (and I stress POSSIBLY) worth having regraded. Is there an equivalent NGC label that might also earn this distinction?

Thanks. RI AL...full of questions today :screwy:

IMO, the vast majority have already been picked through -- including no line fatty holders (sorry, Shane). So much so that when I see an old holder my first thought is "what's wrong with the grade on this coin". Perhaps I'm just cynical, but in this case I don't think so...Mike

FOR SURE!!!!

BUT given the fact that there were a lot more PCGS "old label "coins than there were NGC "old label” coins graded, the population of PCGS coins is much larger. Years ago I bought some “old label” NGC coins with the embossed gold logos on the back. The coins were “slam dunk” up-grades, and that is exactly what happened when I cracked them out and sent them in.

BUT, the NGC slam dunk up-grades have now become as rare as the PCGS slam dunk rattle holder up-grades. You have to know how to grade coins BEFORE you try to do it. Otherwise chances are you will be wasting you money because not all “old holder” coins are up-grades. In the worse case they can become “BODY BAGS.” :flamed:

Great answers, guys. But may I ask...what's a NGC no line "Fatty holder". Can anyone post a picture of one? Most of my NGC stuff was bought quite a few years ago and while I have never submitted anything for an upgrade, and probably won't, it's good to know that the potential is there.

Bill Jones, would an upgrade request ever come back in a body bag if you send it to the same TPG?

RI AL

I still see a high percentage of NGC no line fatties that are PQ for the grade and also maybe 50% that are upgrade material....the thing is....if you have a common date Morgan in MS63 and it's a 64 by today's standards....it's not worth the cost of a regrade for that small bump. That's why I don't look at it like if the coin is still in an old holder....there maybe a problem with it.

The most valuable thing posted so far is that you have to know how to grade....and more importantly.....you have to know how to grade according to what each each TPG is looking for.....this can usually only be accomplished by having a solid base of grading skills and then trial and error with some submission to get everything all dialed in... hm

RI AL, here is an old, no line NGC holder. Note that there is not line in the plastic under the label. IMHO, the coins in holders below about 200,000 are the ones that are the best upgrade candidates. Like everything else, some of these coins will not upgrade in today's tight grading environment.

1862slab.jpg

What is a no line fattie?

Here is the link to the NGC slab varieties that I posted to the forum. Anything before the NGC 6 would be considered a no line fattie.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2248404&page=1#Post2248404

There are nice coins in all types of holders. Gotta know the coins and series to find them.

DSCN6128A.jpg

DSCN6757A.jpg

Bill Jones, would an upgrade request ever come back in a body bag if you send it to the same TPG?

It could if you cracked the coin out and sent it in raw. The TPG has no idea as to the source of the coin or what holders might have housed it in the past.

On the other hand, if you submitted the coin in the TPG holder, there is little chance that the company would crack it out and body bag it. In that case they would be admitting that they over graded the coin in the past. Therefore you would be due compensation for the over grading under the grading guarantee.

Years ago I bought some “old label” NGC coins with the embossed gold logos on the back. The coins were “slam dunk” up-grades, and that is exactly what happened when I cracked them out and sent them in.

I agree with Bill. There are some remarkably nice coins in embossed holders.