• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

die variety joy and sorrow

3 posts in this topic

Sorrow: realizing that one's 1864 MS-62 RB 2c piece which looked like it might be a double die, surely has only strike doubling. At least this time I didn't get all excited.

Joy: reading one's copy of Vol. 1 of the Cherrypicker's Guide (purchased from user physics-fan3.14, who was very prompt and with whom I would do business again tomorrow) and finding an outstanding explanation of double dies, dividing them by different types and explaining how they occur(red). Now I understand much more about strike doubling, why it should be called strike doubling rather than machine doubling, and how it differs from a true double die.

In 2005, I thought I had found a doubled die on a CA SQ. I sent it to Billy Crawford for examination. It turned out that my excitement was premature because it was just machine doubling. At about the same time, I was also getting interested in Morgan VAM's, but I still didn't know how to distinguish between true die doubling and machine doubling. Now, after looking at hundreds of examples of both, it has become much easier.

Chris

Glad to help. In my early searches for varieties, I got all excited about a few and later found out that they weren't anything more than MDD. Heck, I still see things and get excited, only later, after studying it a bit more, to find out that its strike doubling.