• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honestly now ... do "market reports" really matter to you?

13 posts in this topic

I'm not overwhelmed with the desire to change my collecting strategy, usually, but it is nice to keep your finger on the market's pulse, as it were. I don't read them religiously, but I often use them as a tool to get an overall or broad view of the market. I'm usually focused on my Franklin half dollars, and don't really pay attention to the broader market as a whole, so these market reports let me do that. If I were to see an area getting cheap that I was interested in, that might prompt me to make a purchase there, however.

James, can't they "matter" without causing a person to change his/her "collecting strategy"? Let me answer that for you - yes! Market reports can be both interesting and informative, regardless of whether they affect one's behavior.

James, can't they "matter" without causing a person to change his/her "collecting strategy"? Let me answer that for you - yes! Market reports can be both interesting and informative, regardless of whether they affect one's behavior.

I certainly do think they can be entertaining! But I just wondered how many folks actually have a change of heart about how they are collecting because of advice found in a market report.

Some of the less useful reports I've found lately are in the greysheet, for example. But of course, that is targeted more at dealers....

Coinage has a monthly market report that I enjoy reading. I like the way they divide it between 'collector grade' (40) and 'investor grade' (65).

The only caution in using reports is asking, is the report right tool for the job? For example, the Coinage chart looks at the overall market…. if I were to use the data to purchase individual coins, that would be a mistake.

Overall though they certainly have their place in the hobby.

I collect what I like and can afford. Market reports provide an insight into the larger picture of coin activity. At times I have used them in a contrary manner, that is to purchase what interests me that is not "hot" in the market.

I read market reports out of curiosity, more than for decision making data. Although, I guess I cannot truthfully say no such a report has caused a positive nor negative effect, I just do not remember if it did so. I usually, am more apt to use them to form an opinion about the author as to whether I will ready him again.

Jim

Market reports, like other forms of commentary, need to be read with a grain of salt. Some are just rah-rah advertising (rather like realtors saying what a great time it is to buy a house right now). Some seem to pitch whatever the writer's firm specializes in or tends to have in stock (especially if the emphasis is strongly investor-oriented). Some are more frank, and wide-ranging, and these IMO tend to be somewhat more interesting. We are in the midst of a bull market (not a great time to jump into coins as investments), so market reports are not as meaningful as they might be when the market begins to cool off.

Buy quality, key/semi-key dates, buy low and sell high, etc. Nothing is really new other than increasing prices and pricing bifurcation.