• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM 1825 Capped Bust 50c 1891 Morgan $1 1921 Morgan $1

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so I am a comic collector and know nothing about Coins - the story on these is that my Great Grandfather pocketed some coins he found when the Walt Whitman Bridge was being made from Philly to Camden - he would go down and watch the workers and these are a few that he found. Comics I know, coins not so much - ok not at all. Any insight on value would help as well. Tried to do some research, but just don't know the hobby

1825LibertyBustFront.jpg1825LibertyBustBack.jpg

1891MorganFront.jpg1891MorganBack.jpg

1921MorganFront.jpg1921MorganBack.jpg

Thanks

Al

The CBH (capped bust half) looks to be a nice original VF from those pictures, but they are kind of small and hard to accurately gauge. The Morgans are probably EF-AU, judging by the amount of wear and luster. As for value, the '21 is worth a little over silver - a fair guess would be in the $15 range. I don't have a price guide with me, but the '91 is probably worth a bit more than that, but not much. Again, I don't have a price guide with me, but if the half is problem free VF with a common O# (die pairing) its probably in the $75 range.

I agree with Physics that your Bust Half is a VF. It would have a value of about $ 100 for a common Overton Variety. If you can get some larger pictures of the Bust Half I might be able to give you an idea as to which Overton you would have.

Not sure if these are better or not - I also added some inverted images as well. Since I am totally ignorant on this, not sure if it matters, but on the sides of the coin it is stamped ""FIFTY CENTS" and "HALF A DOLLAR"

1825scan2.jpg

1825scan2back.jpg

invertedfront.jpg

invertedback.jpg

I think you have a R 3 Overton . I checked to make sure you did not have Overton 118 which is extremely rare, or Overton 109 which is also rare. I think this coin is an Overton 116 which is considered an R3. R1 – is very common , R8 is unique and extremely rare. An R3 is considered somewhat scare but from what I have seen does not really add much of a premium to a coin especially in a circulated grade. Still this is a nice circulated Bust Half .