• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avoiding Costly Mistakes When Building a Coin Collection

37 posts in this topic

A YN is a young numismatist. Oh, I'm going to read your Dansco story since I just sold a set of Barber quarters at a decent loss.

There are exceptions to every rule but that generally applies to more advanced numismatists. Unless a new collector really, really wants to loose lots of money then they should generally stick with the guidelines in this post.

p.s. Leigh, that is a nice set of Barber Quarters with very few exceptions! I can understand how it may peave you to have overpaid but that was your tuition in the school of numismatics. At least you have nice coins to show for it and the market may even catch up to what you paid.

p.s. Leigh, that is a nice set of Barber Quarters with very few exceptions! I can understand how it may peave you to have overpaid but that was your tuition in the school of numismatics. At least you have nice coins to show for it and the market may even catch up to what you paid.

I told you that I was just playing devils advocate, that thread is my proof. I follow just about every rule in that list. I just don't like following rules, it makes the hobby seem like work. I am thinking about continuing my Barber set to see how I do now that my numismatic knowledge is more advanced. My guess is that I will get better coins for the money at a much slower pace. Might be a good subject for a thead in a year or two.

You must have missed the ;\) . I was just continuing my role as devil's advocate in the thread. The advice given in this forum can be invaluable to every collector new and old. However, I does peeve me a little when I see criticism that IMO is not constructive but instead given because the two collectors have different styles of collecting coins.

I think that everyone should attempt to avoid costly mistakes when building a collection and I fully support obtaining the knowledge from any source (this forum included) that will help in that endeavor. However, I believe that every collector should embrace the little mistakes they make along the way, because that is how you really learn. I actually started a thread on Cointalk the other day about the mistakes that I made when I was a novice collector building a Dansco Album of Barber Quarters.

BTW: What is a YN?

Sorry, my bad! BTW: YN- Youth Numismatist Have agood day!

OT, Charlie, I was just curious because I was raised in Maine and actually have lived in the LA, CA much of my adult life.

Charlie (OT3)