• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollar with rim hit, will it grade?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, First time poster, long time (well you know how that goes)

I'd have to say it would probably get body-bagged. The damage to the rim along with the "dirt" in between the IGWT (in God we trust) indicates that this coin has been cleaned at one time or another. I personally wouldn't send it in. If it had no rim damage or wasn't cleaned , I still don't know that it would be worth getting graded as it does show some wear in the prime areas. You could probably obtain an 1891 Morgan already graded by NGC at a decent price anyway.

If you plan on sending this in as part of the 5 free submisions , then what the heck , don't let me discourage you. Good luck!

Hello all, First time poster, long time (well you know how that goes)

I'd have to say it would probably get body-bagged. The damage to the rim along with the "dirt" in between the IGWT (in God we trust) indicates that this coin has been cleaned at one time or another. I personally wouldn't send it in. If it had no rim damage or wasn't cleaned , I still don't know that it would be worth getting graded as it does show some wear in the prime areas. You could probably obtain an 1891 Morgan already graded by NGC at a decent price anyway.

If you plan on sending this in as part of the 5 free submisions , then what the heck , don't let me discourage you. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!Yes, I was so focused on what looks like polishing, that I neglected to mention that aside from any rim problem or polishing, the coin appears to be circulated. Thus it isn't worth submitting for grading, anyway. And my feeling is that even if you do have "free grading submissions" they shouldn't be wasted, but should be saved for coins that merit grading.

And my feeling is that even if you do have "free grading submissions" they shouldn't be wasted, but should be saved for coins that merit grading.

(thumbs u

The coin is a Top 100 VAM is why I wanted to get it certified. I may have to send the coin to ANACS with the problems it has, but I thought I would check to see if anyone thought the rim hit was minor enough to allow the coin to be certified. Those pictures are the seller's pictures, here are some scans I just made.

1891VAM-2Aobv2.jpg

1891VAM-2Arev2.jpg

1891VAM-2Arev2closeup.jpg