• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New ANACS to PCGS results

16 posts in this topic

I had the local dealer send three of my ANACS coins to PCGS. I had posted about all three of these coins in the past and all three were cracked out before being sent in. I was a bit concerned due to all of the rumors that the TPGs had cracked down recently. But the dealer suggested sending them to PCGS instead of NGC because he had noticed NGC really had cracked down more than PCGS.

I'll discuss these in the order that I first posted about them here. First was an 1840 half dime, with drapery. I bought this in a very early Clear View holder that wasn't sealed well at the top around the label. The coin was also rotated in the slab. It was graded AU58 by ANACS and I thought that was the correct grade. PCGS agreed and gave it an AU58.

Second was an 1861 three cent silver. This one came in a small white ANACS holder graded MS62. This coin is very eye appealing and also was very undergraded. The obverse looks to be at least MS66 but there the reverse has a few scattered hairlines that brought the grade down. I thought it should have been an MS64 with a shot at MS65 depending on how they took away for the hairlines and added for the color. PCGS gave this one an MS64.

Lastly I sent in an 1868-S half dime that ANACS graded MS62. I thought this one was graded correctly but was less sure about how this one would turn out at PCGS. I was concerned that it had a small chance to be graded AU58 but the dealer assured me that it was an MS coin. The luster looked all there and fairly strong so PCGS gave this one an MS63, which surprised me a bit.

Of course these were not just random picks out of my ANACS coins so these aren't typical results from crossing ANACS coins. Still, the current PCGS grading seemed to be very accurate from my tiny sample. There was no bloodbath and I am quite pleased.

My Photobucket account is acting up on me so I will attach some quick shots of the slabs below.

64193.jpg.133674e080c8b1690992839736572a1f.jpg

64194.jpg.8fef6f641e189359e699e7ca1fb9f167.jpg

64195.jpg.7dab22c70ae4fe98e90abe210a204c92.jpg

WoW, Randy! You're quite the success story! It does prove that knowledge goes a long ways in this hobby.

Gorgeous coins, especially the ones with color! (worship)

That is one incredible '61 Trime ....wow the outlines look even sharp through the quick-shot pics . Absolutely love the target toning on the '40 and '61 . It seems to me , you have a great eye and a talent for what to cross and what not to . Congratulations on the fine purchases and your x-over results.

-John