• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

die clashing? or dies clashing?

11 posts in this topic

NEW VERSIONS:

...the strike deficiency was caused by previous die clashing.

or

...the strike deficiency was caused by dies clashing previously.

or

...the strike deficiency was caused by dies previously clashing.

hm

There doesn't appear to be a difference between 1 and 2. I think between 1 and 3, neither one is incorrect, but 3 sounds better.

I didn't realize clashed dies caused strike deficiencies. Educate me.

Which would you consider more correct:

...the strike deficiency was caused by die clashing.

or

...the strike deficiency was caused by die clashing.

or

...the strike deficiency was caused by clashed dies.

hm

How about, The strike deficiency can be attributed to an earlier die clash. The literal interpretation of both statements gives the reader the impression that the strike deficiency occurred at the same time as the die clash, and we know that isn't possible because there is no planchet in the coining chamber at the time of the clash.Chris

To me the statements make no sense.

A "strike deficiency" would mean a weak strike with missing detail. Now die or dies clashing is present tense which means there is no planchet between the dies. Which I have to admit would be a VERY deficient strike.

As for the deficiency being caused by clashed dies, the fact that the dies clashed in the past has nothing to do with the strength of the strike this time. (Unless the earlier clash caused a major failure of one or both dies.)