• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norse Commem on ebay

26 posts in this topic

Why the r-o-v-e-r link Victor? Is that allowed here?

I am thinking this might be something that NGC is doing to help pay for the boards.

What do you mean, Lee? outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed?

When you click on the link, r-o-v-e-r, is listed first, then the eBay link.

"r-o-v-e-r links will redirect you to ebay and put a cookie on your computer. The r-o-v-e-r affiliate program rewards users who redirect others to ebay by paying a portion of all the ebay fees generated by the person with the cookie on their computer to the person who placed the r-o-v-e-r link onto the net for a period of two weeks. In other words, if someone here on the boards spams the boards with a r-o-v-e-r link and you click the link you will then have their r-o-v-e-r ID cookie on your computer. If you subsequently use ebay in the next two weeks you will end up having this spammer earn a portion of any fees paid to ebay through any auctions you win or list. Only the last r-o-v-e-r ID cookie placed onto your computer before a transaction takes place will earn that spammer money. If you have your computer security settings configured to disallow a redirect then your computer will ask you for permission before the redirect happens and you can decline."

I have no idea how this happened??? I just copied the link from the auction unless the seller had it embedded. Sorry if this is the case. Just wanted to share a nice looking Norse Medal.

NGC has apparently recently started to spam our boards with r-o-v-e-r links where their ebay affiliation is embedded in the ebay link. This is a quick, and in my opinion less than upfront, way to attempt to get more money from ebay via our threads. In the end, it costs all users of ebay extra money and I find it extraordinarliy tacky on the part of NGC.

NGC has apparently recently started to spam our boards with r-o-v-e-r links where their ebay affiliation is embedded in the ebay link. This is a quick, and in my opinion less than upfront, way to attempt to get more money from ebay via our threads. In the end, it costs all users of ebay extra money and I find it extraordinarliy tacky on the part of NGC.

Tom, in no way am I disagreeing with you, as I ask this in all sincerity, but how does it cost me and all eBay users money and how does NGC get paid?

I've heard of this before but really, outside of a protest such as yours, don't know how it works and how we are at a disadvantage because of it.

I appreciate your reply.

In the end, it costs all users of ebay extra money and I find it extraordinarliy tacky on the part of NGC.

If the fee to the "spammer" comes from the ebay fees we pay then it seems to me it is costing eBay not the users because they don't add an extra fee to your winning bid just because they are having to pay the spammer. (Of course eventually it gives eBay an excuse to raise the fees, but since when have they needed an excuse to do that.)

Nice Norse medal. Winston really has an eye for these.

doh!

That's right! It's Winston who likes them so much.

This post, although siderailed :o, is in his honor!

I know I have seen that one before Winston, but just wanted to say Nice One again. (thumbs u

I want a thin one too............. :pullhair:

Rey

Originally Posted By: TomB

Tom, in no way am I disagreeing with you, as I ask this in all sincerity, but how does it cost me and all eBay users money and how does NGC get paid?

I've heard of this before but really, outside of a protest such as yours, don't know how it works and how we are at a disadvantage because of it.

I appreciate your reply.

R-o-v-e-r places a cookie on your computer when you click the link and that cookie stays active for two weeks. Whenever you make an ebay purchase over the lifespan of the cookie, the last referer to have placed a r-o-v-e-r cookie on your computer receives a commission on all your ebay sales. Ebay cuts a check, I believe, to the referer and there are even some folks who use the PCGS boards who habitually include a r-o-v-e-r cookie within their links or who attempt to hide the embedded link so folks cannot tell they are having a cookie placed on their computer.It costs everyone who uses ebay money because ebay pays each individual referer a commission on all transactions completed within two weeks of last placement. Since we all know ebay does not exist to lower its profit margin through generous gifts of money, we then know that those commissions have to be paid by someone. Who pays those commissions? All ebay sellers get hit with higher ebay fees to pay for those commissions and many sellers do everything they can to pass on all the costs of transactions to buyers. Therefore, the general population of buyers and sellers on ebay pays for the commissions through higher ebay fees (direct) and passed along costs (indirect).

It costs everyone who uses ebay money because ebay pays each individual referer a commission on all transactions completed within two weeks of last placement. Since we all know ebay does not exist to lower its profit margin through generous gifts of money, we then know that those commissions have to be paid by someone. Who pays those commissions? All ebay sellers get hit with higher ebay fees to pay for those commissions and many sellers do everything they can to pass on all the costs of transactions to buyers. Therefore, the general population of buyers and sellers on ebay pays for the commissions through higher ebay fees (direct) and passed along costs (indirect).

I'm not so sure it actually costs us more. eBay has pretty much figured out exactly how much they can charge sellers in order to make their optimal revenue. If eBay did not pay these r0ver commissions to outside organizations, they likely would not lower their fees. Just like if they outsourced all their customer service people to India and paid half price, they wouldn't suddenly lower their seller fees. They'd just make more profit.

If you use FireFox you should be able to add this cookie to the blocked cookie list.

Greg, dude! What happened to your "Slightly Evil" moniker? hm

So, you've turned over a new leaf or what? :sorry:

Reckon we can call you PC-Gregory now. doh!

:grin:

Greg, dude! What happened to your "Slightly Evil" moniker? hm

So, you've turned over a new leaf or what? sorry.gif

Reckon we can call you PC-Gregory now. doh\!

grin.gif

When the upgrades were done to the forums my custom title got wiped away along with many others. Arch reset it, but it showed both the custom title and the standard one. Once I updated my profile, it reverted back the the standard one. Arch said he was going to look into it, but I'm still total newbie now... :(

Thanks Tom for the info. I almost hated to ask as I figured everyone else probably knew, but having heard the term so many times without any real idea what the heck it was gave me the courage to simply ask! Again, thanks.

I also just realized I lost my custom title too. :(

Originally Posted By: TomB
It costs everyone who uses ebay money because ebay pays each individual referer a commission on all transactions completed within two weeks of last placement. Since we all know ebay does not exist to lower its profit margin through generous gifts of money, we then know that those commissions have to be paid by someone. Who pays those commissions? All ebay sellers get hit with higher ebay fees to pay for those commissions and many sellers do everything they can to pass on all the costs of transactions to buyers. Therefore, the general population of buyers and sellers on ebay pays for the commissions through higher ebay fees (direct) and passed along costs (indirect).

I'm not so sure it actually costs us more. eBay has pretty much figured out exactly how much they can charge sellers in order to make their optimal revenue. If eBay did not pay these r0ver commissions to outside organizations, they likely would not lower their fees. Just like if they outsourced all their customer service people to India and paid half price, they wouldn't suddenly lower their seller fees. They'd just make more profit.

If you use FireFox you should be able to add this cookie to the blocked cookie list.

You can bet Ebay has carefully budgeted their revenue intake to accomodate these advertising donations at our expense. If such payouts did not exist, they would have one less reason to contunue rasing their fees; but all businesses pass their costs along so what can you do?

You can bet Ebay has carefully budgeted their revenue intake to accomodate these advertising donations at our expense. If such payouts did not exist, they would have one less reason to contunue rasing their fees; but all businesses pass their costs along so what can you do?

They don't need a reason to raise fees other than they can and the marketplace will accept it. All they need to do is find the optimal fee amount to provide them with the maximum amount of revenue.