• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BodyBag or Mint Made - Roller Marks???

12 posts in this topic

If those marks are incused (sunken) into the field and devices, then they are roller marks and will have no adverse effects on grading.

I'm also concerned about the rim ding at 5 O'Clock, that looks pretty significant...other than that, this is a pretty mark free Morgan and a well struck example for New Orleans.

im seeing BB due to the noted 10&5 dings. i am sending a coin with same damage to ncs first to make sure mine will or wont pass. i like the coin you have though.

I've never seen roller marks that look like the ones in your last photo. Can someone post examples of others that were slabbed?

Chris

A lot of Morgans have similar lines on them. They often show on the cheek, and they always slab problem free. If that's what you have, the lines are a little heaver than usual, but seem to have been there before striking.

SWNGC...very good diagnostic images of the marks in question.

Most times, especially in smaller diameter coins, the devices and lettering tend to erase or completely eliminate the roller marks when struck,

leaving them to be only seen in the clear fields. Those kind of roller marks appear to run under the devices and even at times emerge on the other side.

With the larger coins such as the Morgan, the enormous striking pressures prevents the dies from completely filling and sometimes leaves those

roller marks on both the devices and the fields. (parallel lines in the field running up to the edge of the device and then running up and over those

devices or letters would be hard pressed to occur post-mint)

I pretty much think that's what has happened to this Morgan, plus those were some pretty significant lines left in the rolled out sheet metal for those

large dies to handle.

Note: the roller marks are located in what is considered the high spots, breast feathers & Ms. Liberty's ear.

I wished I had some images or slabs, but do not.

Thanks to all....

FYI - "Diagnostic" pics were taken by holding a 20x loupe against the lens of my digital camera and then zooming in/out on area of interest (seemed to work surprisingly well with auto focus on).....

I'm really leaning toward trying to get this one slabbed (good conversation piece) - Would appreciate more feedback on rim damage, as I originally didn't think it would be too severe, but it's been a popular topic (added close up pics above)

Feel free to take a stab at grade/BB if you'de like... I'll post results when returned.