• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got it right this time(I hope)

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Last week I got the bait and switch treatment on an Ebay auction for an 80 S Proof like Morgan. Luckily I'll be getting my money back. Here's the original thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2534712#Post2534712

Well,I can't seem to get enough Proof like Morgans. Doesn't matter if I already have on of that date. So,with that in mind,I acquired this beautiful 81S PL . I haven't paid for it yet,but it was hardly more than a retail MS 64 non-PL 81S and a few bucks more than my refund.. Let me know what you think an what grade?(It's has one of those old photo certificates from the late 80's.)

Sorry,probably should have posted this in the spare a grade section.

63944.jpg.21fa09cddb1bc2cd8ca85359b0144b9d.jpg

63945.jpg.4fd3444d3f768881b50b5f98f59e747f.jpg

From the pic, looks like a very clean cheek. Although looks like weak breast feathers. But technically I'll say 65. But I think the photos could be hiding some chatter.

I usually play with every coin posted so that I can see the actual areas better and when I did yours I liked your coin more...

I will say however that the breast bothers me because the feathers are not there.

Get some better pics when you get the coin.

Is it in a rattler slab?

639441.jpg

639451.jpg

I hear what you say about the breast feathers. That concerned me as well until I looked at the pictures of the other four similar coins up for sale. They all look like this ecxcept mine had much better Obverse. I do have to say that the rest are New Orleans mint coins. All of these coins are slabbed and photo certified by a company from the 80's. It's graded MS65 PL:. I will most definitely post pics when I get it. It shipped Wednesday.Should be here by Friday or Saturday.

I picked this up at the Post Office today. We have a hurricane coming tomorrow and I didn't want to wait. It's every bit as nice as in the picture. And as with every coin there is always something. As MauleMall pointed out the breast feathers aren't as defined as they could be. They breast is not flat at all.It's convex and covered in mint frost. The feathers ARE there just not as pronounced as some other 81S's.

The Proof Like mirrors at at least 6".The cheek is about the best I've seen. I took some pictures but I can't seem to get the light right. Anyway,it's about the best $62.00 I've spent in a long time.I tried to get the other 4 that were up for auction,but at the time I thought they went too high.Wrong. Any small scratches you see are on the plastic holder.

I added a picture with a further away perspective. These huge close-ups can come out pretty harsh. Let's see if this one is better. I thought all those 20+ year old slabs were rattlers. Guess not

81S66PL.jpg

81S66PL2.jpg

Best81s65PL2.jpg

What slab is she in - from the 80's???

Yup.1988. International Numismatic Society out of Washington D.C.Anyone got opinions on these guys. I know there were a bunch of Morgan dollar investment companies around that time.