• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870 $1

9 posts in this topic

Because of the increase of value with each point on this particular coin, a good light source would be advantageous in which to tip and rotate, looking for evidence of mint luster and high point rub. Slight magnification would also be an advantage to the examiner in order to verify any conditions that would tend to allow it to stay at a higher grade point or have a negative impact so it could be fairly dropped a point or two.

With all that mumbo jumbo said, it’s somewhere in the AU range, a nice example that was pulled from a period of very brief circulation.

The reverse is the best feature if you ask me.

Dwaine...she's a beauty.

Using the ANA grading book, I think she qualifies as an AU 55 for sure and possibly a 58.

I'm leaning towards 58. the book states, "Has some signs of wear on Liberty's right leg, breast and hair above eye. Weak spots in the design are usually caused by striking and not wear."

Your coin shows a sharp line above the eye showing the hairline on the forehead clearly. Slight flatness in the breast area could be from striking weakness as the stars are not fully struck up either.

For the reverse, there is no description for a 58 coin, but on a 55..."a trace of wear shows on head and beak and above eye". I believe that the reverse on your coin shows essentially no wear so I am still leaning to AU 58.

RI AL

FWIW the coin is in a PCGS AU53 holder. Once I get the coin back I may look at it in more detail to see if it might upgrade to a 55 or 58 but I don't think it will.