• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAME ACROSS OLD COINS, SILVER DOLLARS, QUARTERS,Need Help

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

We are mainly into the comic book market & sports cards & we also wholesale all kinds of supplies for comics & cards.

Our father was saving these coins for so many years & we have a lot more of them. I don't know what to look for, what flaws & how to clean them without damaging them or if that is acceptable.

Does anyone know what these are worth, Any help will be appreciated.

Charles

z702coins.jpg

Years range from 1879-1922 for the large silver dollars

Silver quarters are 1941-1964

Hello, Hotflips.

I'd be happy to help you out but evaluating coins without seeing them in person is tricky. At the least, the silver dollars are worth about $14-$15 each and the quarters about $2-2.50.

It would be helpful to have the dates and mintmarks (if any) on each of the coins.

For the silver dollars, on the back...look for a small letter above the DO in DOLLAR. Might be an O, an S, a CC or there might not be a letter at all. If you send me the dates and mint marks I'll give you a rough value.

Same deal with the quarters. Look above the ER in QUARTER on the back for a D or an S or, there may be no letter.

The mintmarks stand for:

S=San Francisco

O=New Orleans

CC=Carson City

D=Denver

No mint mark=Philadelphia.

RI AL

HOTFLIPS

OH...forgot the Peace silver dollars, (the ones that look like the head of the Statue of Liberty) 1921 and 1922 in your list. Here the mintmark might again be a D an S or no mintmark. It is located between the ONE and the end of the eagle's tail.

Please do NOT clean your coins!!!!!!

RI AL

RI AL,

Thank you for the response. I will not clean these coins, thank you. I am looking at 3 of the silver dollars. The years on them are 1879 and all have an "S" min mark as you described. One silver dollar i have is from 1889 with no mint mark (this was looks real nice mind you). I have one from 1890 with a mint mark that says "O". and im looking at another silver dollar from 1891 with no mint mark. We have a whole bunch more of these.

Silver dollars i have from 1922 that say peace on the back one has a "D" and one has an "S".

1879, S, maybe $18...not a rare date/mint

1889, $18- $20 or so, common date/mint

1890 O, roughly the same value

1891, around $18. common mint/date

PLEASE remember that values vary widely from one source to another and the above prices are a bit high in my opinion. CONDITION (amount of wear) is key, and it's hard to grade the coins witghout actually seeing them.

1922 D S PEACE DOLLARS...again, common date/mint so values are roughly the same.

All in all, you have some nice coins there but all are common date/mint combinations.

RI AL

Thank you so much for your help. I have about 70 pounds of these coins to look through. If anything is any different than the ones i told you about, i will post them here. Thanks again for your time and information!!

Glad to help, Hotflips.

One thought that might be helpful as well. If you go to numismedia.com, you'll find prices for lots of coins. Just find the denomination and type and you can get a ROUGH idea of value. This would be much quicker than your posting all 70 pounds worth of coibns here! Just ask if I can help in any way.

RI AL

Hotflips, it would be good to list your coins in the U.S. Coins section of this site. There are many more people on that site who collect U.S. silver coins and you would probably get much more advice, athough the advice that RI AL has given you is very good, helpful and accurate.

hey hotflips :) good to see you in coins :P just copy and paste in the us coins and youl be fine. also some closer pics of each coin or smaller groups for better condition view.