• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Several Thousands Young Healthy & Fine...

5 posts in this topic

I thought that title might get your attention! devil.gif

Actually, that is the start of what is written on the back of a Conder token I picked up earlier this month. It's from a Gloucestershire-Newent 1796 1/2P Conder and the D&H number is 64.

The reverse has a spiral of words that starts from the rim and reads

Several Thousands Young Healthy & Fine Crab Apple & Pear Stocks Raised From The Kernal To Be Sold By J. Morse Newent Glocestershire 1796

The edge states

Payable At Newent

Note the difference in spelling of Gloucestershire on the Conder and on the NGC slab? I think Conder tokens, actually more precisely known as provincial token coinage of the eighteenth century, are tremendous pieces of history. Relatively little money buys a piece of history roughly the size of a large cent and, with many themes and styles, one might be able to come up with any type of collection. I personally like very much those tokens featuring animals such as the Pidcock series, however, the spiral writing on this one was just way too cool to pass up.

Enjoy! grin.gif

589a8b664846f_310622-DH64.jpg.4c08235af4d36710ca0049389ec886a9.jpg

Very cool Tom. I too like these 'tokens,' but I always buy with that investment aspect in the back of my mind and I often wonder what kind of market exists for these pieces.

Amazing though in any aspect and definitely a true piece of American history. thumbsup2.gif

I don't worry about the investment aspect of these pieces as they make up less than 1% of my collection value. Extremely nice pieces can be had for as little as $15 and quite a few trade in the $20-$40 range. Unfortunately, this one is MS and also RB so it cost me a bit more than that range. Most of mine are in the VF-EF area.

As for American history, well, some of these did circulate in America, however, most circulated in Great Britain.

Neat token Tom, but it made me dizzy and reversed all of my REM desensitization therapy for the last 6 years. 893whatthe.gif The bill is in the mail. insane.gif

stooges.gif Hoot