• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I wrap this coin in a Taco Bell napkin???

Should I crack this coin out and wrap it in a Taco Bell napkin?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should I crack this coin out and wrap it in a Taco Bell napkin?

30 posts in this topic

Serious question.

And I place this post in the coins section rather than tangents, because the coin itself is educational.

The coin is dipped, and dipped clean with great preservation of the flow lines. It was dipped 'properly'. And I like this coin very much, but for a VF 35 (with the luster of an AU 50), this clean look just seems so inappropriate. I bought this coin from a fellow board member (I believe PCGS), because I've been searching for an E/A.

This is the famous E/A, and in higher grades they just go for moon money. Hell, I'd pay the moon money to get a really nice AU, and I know, I just wouldn't be able to afford an MS. But nicely toned. Thus, the taco bell napkin (help me out here, Bruce). I have some taco bell napkins in a draw in my study, expecting some day to come accross a dipped out bustie (raw) and do an experiment. This coin is holdered. Should I break it out and wrap it in a taco bell napkin????? Seriously.

OH....also the "A" was mistakingly punched in and then 'erased' and the E struck over it. These blow up photos are great, because when you stare at them, sometimes the E appears as incused (which it is not), and the "A" still appears to be there, almost to completion. Look at it a different way, and you see it as just a messed up job of not getting rid of the "A" completely.

The coin is much lighter than my photos, and the toning is so thin and new, that it mostly isn't visible...it's just the way my photo came out (head on).

63780.jpg.336f827e239b580d2e43353cf786c4cf.jpg

63781.jpg.75c412f3e6b9ab64120273c085b0f106.jpg

63782.jpg.d8f4d117d61bfe2246d2ebd235ca97f3.jpg

63783.jpg.bb790a8250d4ffcaaca79477c8aa7f83.jpg

That is one of the most interesting bust halves I have ever seen, Mike. I do not doubt you are quite proud of it. I don't think it matters whether you tone it or not. Yes it would look better inhand toned, but you might lose the flowlines in the process. That coin has more going on in it that demonstrates the US Mint of the E1800's and its issues than any 5 coins. I love it as it is and would love it toned(basically I just love it, so after you are worn out with it you can send it to me) lol

Congrats on one of the best CBH purchases I have witnessed this year on this forum.

Jim

:takeit:^^(worship):applause: (thumbs u

I think I would leave it alone Mike. It looks like a nice CBH in its present condition. I have a bust quarter that I am doing the Taco Bell Napkin experiment with but it was a cleaned coin in a NCS holder.

The , what looks like scratches, are die clash? I don't think I have ever seen anything like that half?

I would keep the coin slabbed. If I was going to try to tone up the coin I wouldn't use a Taco Bell napkin. I would use an old 50, 60, 70, year old coin album! Put the coin in that album and in a hot space and you will end up with some pretty toning in several years!

The , what looks like scratches, are die clash? I don't think I have ever seen anything like that half?

I would keep the coin slabbed. If I was going to try to tone up the coin I wouldn't use a Taco Bell napkin. I would use an old 50, 60, 70, year old coin album! Put the coin in that album and in a hot space and you will end up with some pretty toning in several years!

There are scratches. The 'interesting clash marks' that I noted are behind Liberty's hair--they each are part of the eagle's wing (from an obverse-reverse die clash).

Re: Should I wrap this coin in a Taco Bell napkin???

only if you add hot taco sauce from taco bell in those little packets

as it is acidic and should even do a faster better toning job

There are scratches. The 'interesting clash marks' that I noted are behind Liberty's hair--they each are part of the eagle's wing (from an obverse-reverse die clash).

I don't see anything that I would consider a "scratch;" just a few mild hairlines on the lower obverse. The rest is clashing. Clashes are visible in both the right and left obverse fields, behind the head and in front.

I vote yes. The coin is conservatively graded, considering strike alone prevented a strong XF grade, so you have nothing to loose cracking it out. Also, the coin is attractive as is, but a little more skin could never hurt.

I don't think that I've ever seen such luster on a lower-graded coin such as this one! (worship)

Awesome and educational! And I'd prefer some more skin, personally.

I vote yes. The coin is conservatively graded, considering strike alone prevented a strong XF grade, so you have nothing to loose cracking it out. Also, the coin is attractive as is, but a little more skin could never hurt.

But what is the napkin toning goes badly? Right now it has a little tone and it is looking good, If it then tones badly you either have to live with the bad tone or dip it and strip off all the toning leaving in worse shape than it is now.

I know what you are saying, and I think it's technically ok as is. Some extra time in an album or envelope might improve it further, though, because it doesn’t seem very richly toned.

Not to be a harbinger of doom, but there is definitely PVC residue on this coin. The close-ups show both the larger green spots "growing" on the coin, and green residue around the devices. I would crack it and soak it quickly in acetone before doing anything else with it.

I see no need to crack this coin out of its holder. More toning would cover too much of the interesting clashing and cracks, and maybe even make the E/A harder to see.

For some reason, it appears as though Miss Liberty is in front of a weather map and is giving the forecast for an occasional occluded front.

I do not see any definite verdigris on this coin (shrug)

I voted leave it alone…I see there is a split decision in this matter, leave it to the voters and not to a fast food franchise.

Not to be a harbinger of doom, but there is definitely PVC residue on this coin. The close-ups show both the larger green spots "growing" on the coin, and green residue around the devices. I would crack it and soak it quickly in acetone before doing anything else with it.

All of the major services state that they will not slab a coin with active PVC residue on it. They had the coin in hand and they didn't see PVC residue. (and they bag a lot of coins for {PVC residue that I don't think have it.) I think anytime people see some crud or something with a greenish color on a coin (especially in an image on a computer screen.) they automatically jump to the conclusion PVC residue!!

Could someone explain this "Taco Bell Napkin" thing to me? Is there really something unique in these napkins that makes them better for retoning? Would a Burger King napkin do...or a Dunkin Donuts???

RI AL

as much as some toning will make the coin look "nicer", there is always the chance that it will end up toning unevenly and looking fugly. Better off leaving it as is, and if you want a better one, getting it the way you like it when it comes around.

All of the major services state that they will not slab a coin with active PVC residue on it. They had the coin in hand and they didn't see PVC residue. (and they bag a lot of coins for {PVC residue that I don't think have it.) I think anytime people see some crud or something with a greenish color on a coin (especially in an image on a computer screen.) they automatically jump to the conclusion PVC residue!!

I can appreciate a crusty Bust half with the best of them; they are my #1 specialty. However, I removed PVC residue from a $4,000 coin last week, and I have had a lot of experience with the green monster. The circular, cell-like spots around the letters in the close-up images of this 1814 appear to be textbook PVC residue. Its very possible that the graders didn't see it, I have seen many Bust halves that had some PVC spotting. If it is mild enough, it may go unnoticed. Also, PVC tends to be less harmful to silver and gold than copper and nickle (an other coin metals), so its not necessarily urgent.

I made a comparison image, but the only picture of PVC I had on file was too small to be an effective demonstartion, but you can just barely make out the cell-like spots on my coin.

PVCcoins.jpg

I appreciate your vigilance, but all those marks are out of focus dust particles laying on the holder. The photos were taken using a cheapo magnifying lens that I got off ebay, and the coin is only mm away from the lens. The tiniest pieces of dust will look like that. It's not virdigris. Phew! :)

PCGS, ANACS, and NGC, all have encapsulated coins with PVC crud. I have busted many holders open to put the coins in my albums. A good many of the coins had PVC residue. That is why I wash all coins, I bust free from slabs, with acetone.

I appreciate your vigilance, but all those marks are out of focus dust particles laying on the holder. The photos were taken using a cheapo magnifying lens that I got off ebay, and the coin is only mm away from the lens. The tiniest pieces of dust will look like that. It's not virdigris. Phew! :)

I'm glad your coin is ok, then! (thumbs u

Could someone explain this "Taco Bell Napkin" thing to me? Is there really something unique in these napkins that makes them better for retoning? Would a Burger King napkin do...or a Dunkin Donuts???

RI AL

Apparently Taco Bell napkins are high in sulfur and will impart toning over a period of time. They may be made from recyled paper. Other brands of napkins may also work.

I was looking to see if I saved Bruce's posts using the Taco Bell napkins. He also photgraphed the end result which was quite impressive. I can't find the posts. Can anyone link us to them?