• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1817/4 Half Dollar - Coin World request

9 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am the happy new owner of the 1817/4 half dollar that was offered at auction by Heritage during the Baltimore ANA show. I got it through a post auction buy, after a little back and forth negotiation. So here is my request... I am looking for a copy of the December 17, 2007 Coin World Magazine where the discovery of the coin was announced. I threw my copy away - never figured I would wind up owning the coin. I will be glad to send someone $10 to cover postage if you will send me your old copy (hopefully, in good condition). Please send me a PM if you have a copy your are willing to part with. Thanks.

p.s. Yes, I contacted Coin World to purchase a back issue, and they never responded.

If you don't have luck elsewhere, call Brenda at Coin World, ask her if there is a back copy you can have and tell her I said she's nice and would do her best to help. ;)

After buying that coin, I guess asking to borrow $5 would be out of the question-huh? lol

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your newp of a rare CBH. Here is a website with a lot of informaiton on this coin, if you do not already have it. Good luck.

Jim

CoinLink

Congratulations on your purchase of the very rare 1817/4. Are you going to try to crossover this coin and add it to your registry set?

Heritage started the bidding at the $80k reserve ($92k with the buyer's premium) and got no takers. I got it for somewhere in between after the auction closed. The result is publicly available through Heritage's permanent auction archives if you really want to know the exact amount.

I think they set the reserve way to high on this coin. Aspirations were driven by the $250+k they sold the last one for back in '06 (ANACS XF net graded coin with corrosion and cleaning). If they had started the coin at $60k, I think it would have passed six figures. Ironically, if someone had openned the bidding at $80k, I would have bid $85k ($97,750 with premium). So, I'm happy!!!