• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprint - NCS - Re-slab

7 posts in this topic

I have noticed that my 1932D MS-64 Washington that was recently slabbed by NGC has "grown" a fingerprint that to my knowledge, wasn't there before it was slabbed. I'm thinking of sending it to NCS to see if they can remove it without damaging the beautiful toning it has.

My question is whether or not NGC will re-slab the coin at the same grade that it was already given, after its trip to NCS?

Andy confused.gif

Andy,

While it is very unlikely that we put the print on your coin, (because we are VERY careful here not to do that) I'd be glad to look at it. It will be easy enough to tell if the fingerprint is "fresh" or not. If it is fresh, we'll take care of it. If it isn't, we'll let you know if it is an NCS candidate. please send it "Appearance Review", and to my attention. Thanks.

John

John,

I find your response to be unsatisfactory. How are NGC so careful not to put fingerprints on coins? This may seem like an obvious issue to you -- and it certainly ought to be -- but it's solution isn't so easy.

Isn't there a prominent publicity pic of an NGC grader holding a raw coin with his bare hands? Also, over at PCGS, the slabbers don't use gloved hands. (PCGS have, at one point, admitted to the possibility that their slabbers may have put fingerprints on coins.) What about at NGC?

I suppose if you calculate the odds -- that NGC sees so many coins and gets so few complaints about fingerprints -- then your comment is accurate.

But, we're not talking the average or general case. We're talking about a specific coin that needs to be judged on its specific merits. I think before you disclaim, you ought to take a look at the coin.

EVP

EVP,

I did not disclaim the possibility. I simply said it was very unlikely, and that I'd have a much better idea of what occurred, if anything, after I saw the coin. Any grading service that grades tens of thousands of coins each month will get some complaints. We get very, very, few that involve alleged mishandling, but with that said I am not saying we are absolutely perfect and we do take this very seriously.

John

John,

My apologies. After re-reading your post, I no longer see a ``tone of denial'' in your post. Actually, if I were in your shoes, I probably would've responded exactly the way you did. So... great response!

You could've, of course, simply edited your post and not updated the timestamp -- but, I'll assume that you didn't do that!

smile.gif

EVP