• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo One Ounce Collectors - Arggghhhhh

9 posts in this topic

Well I was extremely happy when I purchased the Proof $50 Buffalo to complete the set for this year and move on - NOT -

For those who did not realize ... there are three for 08

2008-p Mint State

2008-w Mint State

2008-w Proof

*spoon* Time to rob Peter to pay Paul again :tonofbricks:

Anyone who buys any gold or platinum from the mint right now in hopes of reselling later is going to be really disappointed until either the commodities rebound or the Mint shows the same downward flexibility that other venues do.

I've seen other companies with sites that auto-update the price on a minute-by-minute basis as the bullion price changes. I don't think it should be that hard to calculate what their overhead is (packaging, etc) and have a computer program add that to the price of the bullion + a small percentage. Something like:

(Spot Price + Processing)x1.05=Sale price

The mint sells gold at "what they paid for it" plus processing fees. I don't think they are ever going to auto-adjust the site like other sites.

The mint sells gold at "what they paid for it" plus processing fees. I don't think they are ever going to auto-adjust the site like other sites.
The Mint has repriced bullion, even the collectible versions. The Mint has repriced gold and platinum THIS YEAR as prices rose. If the Mint is finding that the price is keeping sales down, they will reprice the coins.

Like I said, they've done it before.

Scott :hi:

I guess there is a 'silver lining' no pun intended. if the high prices drive down mintage figures, then that can only help the issue in the long run, right?

Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on whether or not they sold enough to satisfy the eventual demand from collectors who want to assemble a full set. Unless the mintage is REALLY low. Such as possibly the 1 oz 2008 W unc platinum. According to this weeks Numinews so far they have only sold 114 of them. Platinum too costly? How about the 1/2 2008 W unc gold, mintage so far about 700.